POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Texture for wall paints needed Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Texture for wall paints needed (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Kaveh Bazargan
Subject: Texture for wall paints needed
Date: 21 May 2004 08:30:00
Message: <40adf648@news.povray.org>
I  am modelling my house for interior design. I have found lots of
exotic textures available, but I am after some basic textures for wall
paint. Any pointers please?

Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel Benge
Subject: Re: Texture for wall paints needed
Date: 21 May 2004 14:51:11
Message: <40AE4F51.7050507@hotmail.com>
Kaveh Bazargan wrote:

> I  am modelling my house for interior design. I have found lots of
> exotic textures available, but I am after some basic textures for wall
> paint. Any pointers please?

Kaveh,

There are different finishes for real-world house paints. Flat,
eggshell, satin, semi-gloss.... these all describe varying degrees of
reflectivity and surface roughness. First, you need to ask yourself what
kind of finish you need for your room. I would go with flat, personally,
since the other choices might involve using reflection in your texture,
which will inevitably increase the render time.

Here's what a simple house paint texture might look like:

pigment{ rgb<1 .95 .85> } // off-white
finish{ brilliance .6 }

Now, if you want a raised texture, like textured wall mud, you'd want to
add a rough surface normal with a distinct plateau in its slope_map...
For example:

normal{
  granite
  scale 30
  slope_map{
  }
}

Of course, all of this requires a fair bit of tweaking.

Hope some of that helps!

-Sam Benge

Post a reply to this message