POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : problem: object always white Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  problem: object always white (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
Subject: problem: object always white
Date: 30 Apr 2004 11:21:05
Message: <40926ee1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

the attached code produces a helix, as intended. But most of the
segments are white, rather than the colours prescribed. What am I doing
wrong?

For non-biologists: This is supposed to be a schematic drawing of a
protein sequence found in those mitochondrial proteins which are
manufactured in the cytosol. All basic amino acids (blue) occur in a
particular quadrant, the remaining quadrants are hydrophobic (green) or
polar (orange). This specific arrangement is recognised by a protein
transporter which imports these proteins into the mitochondrium.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'helix.pov.txt' (9 KB)

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:20:48 +0200, Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
<eng### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the attached code produces a helix, as intended. But most of the
> segments are white, rather than the colours prescribed. What am I doing
> wrong?
>
> For non-biologists: This is supposed to be a schematic drawing of a
> protein sequence found in those mitochondrial proteins which are
> manufactured in the cytosol. All basic amino acids (blue) occur in a
> particular quadrant, the remaining quadrants are hydrophobic (green) or
> polar (orange). This specific arrangement is recognised by a protein
> transporter which imports these proteins into the mitochondrium.

You need to scale your colors down by a factor of 1/255. POV-Ray expects
color components to be in the range [0.0, 1.0]. Going beyond 1.0 makes
your objects very, very bright. The only reason some segments are yellow
or cyan is because they have one color component being zero.

---
FE

Post a reply to this message

> You need to scale your colors down by a factor of 1/255. POV-Ray expects
> color components to be in the range [0.0, 1.0]. Going beyond 1.0 makes
> your objects very, very bright. The only reason some segments are yellow
> or cyan is because they have one color component being zero.

Ah, I knew I had done something wrong. Thanks for the help.