POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray at CeBIT + Informatik Spektrum cover Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray at CeBIT + Informatik Spektrum cover (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: POV-Ray at CeBIT + Informatik Spektrum cover
Date: 17 Mar 2004 07:49:30
Message: <4058495a@news.povray.org>
Some news from Germany:

- IBM Germany will be rendering some POV-Ray images at the next CeBIT trade
show in Hannover (18-24 March), for the demonstration of the new IBM JS20
BladeServers. The images are the ones with the complete scene code here
http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/sources12.htm and
http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/sources13.htm. I hope that the
machine is really fast though, otherwise the assistance is going to fall
asleep...

- Informatik Spektrum, a German computer science magazine (Springer group),
is showing a POV-Ray image on the cover of its February issue
(http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/english/persistence.htm) and dedicates a page to
it.

G.

--

**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

Post a reply to this message

> - IBM Germany will be rendering some POV-Ray images at the next CeBIT trade
> show in Hannover (18-24 March), for the demonstration of the new IBM JS20
> BladeServers. The images are the ones with the complete scene code here
> http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/sources12.htm and
> http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/sources13.htm. I hope that the
> machine is really fast though, otherwise the assistance is going to fall
> asleep...

What version of POV will they run?  Those seem to be 64 bit PowerPC CPUs
so i assume they will run Linux.  Will the render be done on a single
machine or on several ones in parallel?  A dozen of those machines
connected via gigabit network would be quite useful for POV-Ray renders...

BTW anyone going to the CeBIT this year?

> - Informatik Spektrum, a German computer science magazine (Springer group),
> is showing a POV-Ray image on the cover of its February issue
> (http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/english/persistence.htm) and dedicates a page to
> it.

I wonder when their 'February issue' will be available, apparently it is
not yet:

http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00287/index.htm

Christoph

Last updated 07 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> - IBM Germany will be rendering some POV-Ray images at the next CeBIT trade
> show in Hannover (18-24 March), for the demonstration of the new IBM JS20
> BladeServers. The images are the ones with the complete scene code here
> http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/sources12.htm and
> http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/sources13.htm. I hope that the
> machine is really fast though, otherwise the assistance is going to fall
> asleep...
I think they want to use these images just to show how fast they are.
How on earth anyone can judge that I do not know, unless they have
another machine that is not as fast. Otherwise it is a bit like
benchmarking with nothing to compare it to.

> - Informatik Spektrum, a German computer science magazine (Springer group),
> is showing a POV-Ray image on the cover of its February issue
> (http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/english/persistence.htm) and dedicates a page to
> it.

you are realy making some impact outside the cozy confines of our
POV world. That is great.

	Andrel

Post a reply to this message

From: Ross Litscher
Date: 17 Mar 2004 12:45:00
Message: <40588e9c$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote in message
> Some news from Germany:
>
> - IBM Germany will be rendering some POV-Ray images at the next CeBIT
trade
> show in Hannover (18-24 March), for the demonstration of the new IBM JS20
> BladeServers. The images are the ones with the complete scene code here
> http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/sources12.htm and
> http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/sources13.htm. I hope that the
> machine is really fast though, otherwise the assistance is going to fall
> asleep...
>
> - Informatik Spektrum, a German computer science magazine (Springer
group),
> is showing a POV-Ray image on the cover of its February issue
> (http://www.oyonale.com/ldc/english/persistence.htm) and dedicates a page
> it.
>
> G.

Wow, neat. Are they going to give you one of these bladeservers as a token
of their gratitude? ;)

as always, amazed by your images.

ross

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 17 Mar 2004 14:14:10
Message: <4058a382@news.povray.org>

> What version of POV will they run?  Those seem to be 64 bit PowerPC CPUs
> so i assume they will run Linux.  Will the render be done on a single
> machine or on several ones in parallel?  A dozen of those machines
> connected via gigabit network would be quite useful for POV-Ray renders...

To be frank, I didn't ask... I hope that a German Pover will be able to have
a look though.

> I wonder when their 'February issue' will be available, apparently it is
not yet:
> http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00287/index.htm

I received the magazine last month, so the website is probably outdated...

G.

--
**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 17 Mar 2004 14:24:32
Message: <4058a5f0$1@news.povray.org>

news:405### [at] hotmailcom...

> I think they want to use these images just to show how fast they are.
> How on earth anyone can judge that I do not know, unless they have
> another machine that is not as fast. Otherwise it is a bit like
> benchmarking with nothing to compare it to.

I guess it's only a live demo. They want pretty pictures to render for the
show. I worked with Intel and other companies on similar requests before.

> you are realy making some impact outside the cozy confines of our
> POV world. That is great.

Lots of people do in fact, and in a much more significant way. Professional
uses for POV-Ray abound, particularly in architecture and scientific
visualisation. I know of buildings, sculptures and scientific research that
were/are done using POV-Ray among other computer tools.

G.

--
**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 17 Mar 2004 14:25:02
Message: <c3a8i8$87u$1@chho.imagico.de>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> I received the magazine last month, so the website is probably outdated...

The problem is i think our library only has a subscription for the
electronic version and does not get the printed one any more.

Christoph

Last updated 07 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 17 Mar 2004 15:11:52
Message: <4058b108@news.povray.org>
> - IBM Germany will be rendering some POV-Ray images at the next CeBIT
trade
> show in Hannover (18-24 March), for the demonstration of the new IBM JS20
> BladeServers. The images are the ones with the complete scene code here
> http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/sources12.htm and
> http://www.oyonale.com/ressources/english/sources13.htm. I hope that the
> machine is really fast though, otherwise the assistance is going to fall
> asleep...

Oh, so you too? IBM asked me for "Iced Land" as well. I've asked some
questions and it looks like their Bladeservers are upgradeable on various
issues. So there'll be one Bladeserver rendering one image, another
Bladeserver rendering the same image, but since one of them is upgraded, it
should render faster, and they want to demonstrate that.

I'm not going though, got other tasks at hand and CeBIT is a little too far
to jump in just to see some POV-Images... The father of my girlfriend might
be going, but I don't know if he'll be able to go to IBM: he's there for own
purposes.

I was kinda happy that IBM wanted the image, along with a few other
publications this makes for a good job and accomplishment history. :-)

Regards,
Tim
--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 17 Mar 2004 15:27:03
Message: <4058b497$1@news.povray.org>
In article <c39jrs$4on$1@chho.imagico.de> , Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

> BTW anyone going to the CeBIT this year?

Me.  Will be there Monday.  Our department at Fraunhofer (institute FIT
(former GMD), project Arthur, will be in the inner ring of the Fraunhofer
exhibit) will exhibit there, so I have reason to visit CeBIT for free :-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 17 Mar 2004 15:28:31
Message: <4058b4ef@news.povray.org>
In article <4058a382@news.povray.org> , "Gilles Tran"
<gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> To be frank, I didn't ask... I hope that a German Pover will be able to have
> a look though.

I would like to know where exactly they exhibit.  Usually IBMs exhibit is
rather huge and in multiple locations.  So if anybody goes there before
Monday, I would like to know where the JS20 exhibit is exactly.