POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : DEM to height_field Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  DEM to height_field (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Peter Hertel
Subject: DEM to height_field
Date: 10 Mar 2004 07:58:57
Message: <404f1111$1@news.povray.org>
Hi
I've been looking for a high resoultion height field which includes the
middle of norway (more exactly, the mountains around Molde, south of
Trondheim). See a map of the location here:
http://www.gulesider.no/gsi/map.do?n=&mode=&size=2&cb=cz&c=s&cm=&v=&bkode=&d
rill=&showCompanies=false&firma=&clickX=238&clickY=178&msa=m1&x=6.743208&y=6
2.60207&id=&startId=&finishId=&spraak=1&oldZoom=2

I haven't found any images with high enough resolution, but perhaps DEM maps
could be of some use?

The question is, how do I convert DEM maps to a height_field?

Christoph Hormann did an image of Hawaii, using STRM data (
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/pov/gallery4.html ). Might that be
a solution?

I've seen some programs which reads DEM files, but they are rather expensive
(1500$ IIRC) :)

-Peter

Post a reply to this message

> I've been looking for a high resoultion height field which includes the
> middle of norway (more exactly, the mountains around Molde, south of
> Trondheim). See a map of the location here:

http://www.gulesider.no/gsi/map.do?n=&mode=&size=2&cb=cz&c=s&cm=&v=&bkode=&d

rill=&showCompanies=false&firma=&clickX=238&clickY=178&msa=m1&x=6.743208&y=6
> 2.60207&id=&startId=&finishId=&spraak=1&oldZoom=2
>
> I haven't found any images with high enough resolution, but perhaps DEM
maps
> could be of some use?
>
> The question is, how do I convert DEM maps to a height_field?

3DEM is both free and good at using several different elevation data
formats. You could use it to show grayscale images and then save the bitmaps
(check its Help for proper grayscale heightfield making). Download it from
http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem/downloads.html (web browser should
encounter an Ad, timeout, and go direct to download).

There's also a link to SRTM data on that web page which goes to another site
and then a directory for "eurasia". Unfortunately, I see it only reaches to
60 degrees north latitude in one degree increments and looks like the area
you want is above 62 degrees N. Something probably exists for that area
someplace on the www, I didn't notice anything in a quick search though.

--
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Mar 2004 11:30:03
Message: <c2nfn4$776$1@chho.imagico.de>
Peter Hertel wrote:
> Hi
> I've been looking for a high resoultion height field which includes the
> middle of norway (more exactly, the mountains around Molde, south of
> Trondheim). See a map of the location here:
> http://www.gulesider.no/gsi/map.do?n=&mode=&size=2&cb=cz&c=s&cm=&v=&bkode=&d
> rill=&showCompanies=false&firma=&clickX=238&clickY=178&msa=m1&x=6.743208&y=6
> 2.60207&id=&startId=&finishId=&spraak=1&oldZoom=2
>
> I haven't found any images with high enough resolution, but perhaps DEM maps
> could be of some use?

ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/

large parts of Norway are not in the available area though.

> The question is, how do I convert DEM maps to a height_field?

DEM is not a file format, it stands for digital elevation model which is
a synonym for heightfield.  Programs needed to convert it into a form
readable by POV depend on the file format.

Christoph

Last updated 07 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 10 Mar 2004 12:22:44
Message: <404F4EB5.1000103@hotmail.com>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Peter Hertel wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I've been looking for a high resoultion height field which includes the
>> middle of norway (more exactly, the mountains around Molde, south of
>> Trondheim). See a map of the location here:
>> http://www.gulesider.no/gsi/map.do?n=&mode=&size=2&cb=cz&c=s&cm=&v=&bkode=&d
>>
>> rill=&showCompanies=false&firma=&clickX=238&clickY=178&msa=m1&x=6.743208&y=6
>>
>> 2.60207&id=&startId=&finishId=&spraak=1&oldZoom=2
>>
>> I haven't found any images with high enough resolution, but perhaps
>> DEM maps
>> could be of some use?
>

> ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/
>
> large parts of Norway are not in the available area though.
>
>> The question is, how do I convert DEM maps to a height_field?
>

> DEM is not a file format, it stands for digital elevation model which is
> a synonym for heightfield.  Programs needed to convert it into a form
> readable by POV depend on the file format.
Which for the site you linked to is raw data, no header, shorts,
big endian, 1201 x 1201 (at least for the parts I looked at)

	Andrel

Post a reply to this message

From: dazza[at]dazzas net
Date: 10 Mar 2004 12:24:55
Message: <404f4f67$1@news.povray.org>
Check out this site for lots of info on tools and techniques:

http://www.terrainmap.com/

Cheers

Peter Hertel wrote:
> Hi
> I've been looking for a high resoultion height field which includes the
> middle of norway (more exactly, the mountains around Molde, south of
> Trondheim). See a map of the location here:
> http://www.gulesider.no/gsi/map.do?n=&mode=&size=2&cb=cz&c=s&cm=&v=&bkode=&d
> rill=&showCompanies=false&firma=&clickX=238&clickY=178&msa=m1&x=6.743208&y=6
> 2.60207&id=&startId=&finishId=&spraak=1&oldZoom=2
>
> I haven't found any images with high enough resolution, but perhaps DEM maps
> could be of some use?
>
> The question is, how do I convert DEM maps to a height_field?
>
> Christoph Hormann did an image of Hawaii, using STRM data (
> http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/pov/gallery4.html ). Might that be
> a solution?
>
> I've seen some programs which reads DEM files, but they are rather expensive
> (1500$ IIRC) :)
>
> -Peter

Post a reply to this message

From: peeeto
Date: 10 Mar 2004 16:01:03
Message: <404f820f$1@news.povray.org>
the best i've found is MicroDEM:
http://www.usna.edu/Users/oceano/pguth/website/microdem.htm

there are also DOS programs like DEM2TGA (C code available i
believe).  this web page has some good info.:
http://www.terrainmap.com/rm3.html

and then there is this web site to check:
http://software.geocomm.com/

--

"Peter Hertel" <peter@(NOSPAM)hertel.no> wrote in message
> Hi
> I've been looking for a high resoultion height field which
includes the
> middle of norway (more exactly, the mountains around Molde,
south of
> Trondheim). See a map of the location here:

http://www.gulesider.no/gsi/map.do?n=&mode=&size=2&cb=cz&c=s&cm=&v=&bkode=&d

rill=&showCompanies=false&firma=&clickX=238&clickY=178&msa=m1&x=
6.743208&y=6
> 2.60207&id=&startId=&finishId=&spraak=1&oldZoom=2
>
> I haven't found any images with high enough resolution, but
perhaps DEM maps
> could be of some use?
>
> The question is, how do I convert DEM maps to a height_field?
>
> Christoph Hormann did an image of Hawaii, using STRM data (
> http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/pov/gallery4.html ).
Might that be
> a solution?
>
> I've seen some programs which reads DEM files, but they are
rather expensive
> (1500$ IIRC) :)
>
> -Peter

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Hertel
Date: 11 Mar 2004 11:33:07
Message: <405094c3@news.povray.org>
> Hi
> I've been looking for a high resoultion height field which includes the
> middle of norway (more exactly, the mountains around Molde, south of
> Trondheim). See a map of the location here:
> I haven't found any images with high enough resolution, but perhaps DEM
maps
> could be of some use?
>
> The question is, how do I convert DEM maps to a height_field?
>
> Christoph Hormann did an image of Hawaii, using STRM data (
> http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/pov/gallery4.html ). Might that
be
> a solution?
>
> I've seen some programs which reads DEM files, but they are rather
expensive
> (1500$ IIRC) :)

Thanks for the replies!
I'm trying out the different programs now, and they look great.
I still think the maps I have is too small, though. But I'll look around a
bit.

It's the wonderful mountains around Molde which encouraged me to do a real
landscape render.
I did nothing but staring at them the first weeks after I moved up here :)

Happy tracing!

-Peter