POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render a Mask ? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Render a Mask ? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: John M  Dlugosz
Subject: Render a Mask ?
Date: 29 Feb 2004 22:26:12
Message: <4042ad54@news.povray.org>
I'm rendering something as a preview for building it.  So, I
plan to combine it with a photograph of my back yard and
compose the ray-traced gazebo into it.  I can get the angles
and perspective and shadow angle to match OK, just by taking
enough measurements and keying off of a flat template of the
octogon shape in the real photo.

My question is: wasn't there talk of some feature, a long
time ago, about rendering a "mask" from a scene?  Basically,
I could use that to punch out the location in the photo.  I
get pretty close by using a constant background color and
selecting that in PhotoShop. But I seem to remember talk
about generating a mask layer directly.

The interesting part, that I need some help with, is dealing
with the shadows.  Assuming I put my object into a scene
that has props for the real objects the shadows will fall
on, how can I copy those in Photoshop to darken the photo?

--John

Post a reply to this message