POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : File load failure Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  File load failure (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: AngleWyrm
Subject: File load failure
Date: 28 Jan 2004 14:59:00
Message: <40181484$1@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to load a series of data points from a file, but I'm only getting
about half of them loaded. The data file is structured with three float
values per line:

raInDeg decInDeg zval

Each triplet defining the rightascention, declination, and zvalue(redshift)
of a celestial body. The data ranges (after a bit of processing!) are:
raInDeg: 0 ~ 360
decInDeg: -90.0 ~ +90.0
zval: estimated at 0.0 ~ 10.0

Someone suggested that it might be commas between numbers,
but when I comma delimit the file, it no longer reads.
It reads about 4000 out of 9000 entries when I tab-delimit them.
Any suggestions?

pertinent source:
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Load the data file
//

#declare RA = 0;
#declare DECL =1;
#declare ZVAL = 2;

#fopen dataFile "d:/docs/raytracing/redshiftData.txt" read

#declare LinesInFile = 10000;
#declare celestialData = array[3][ LinesInFile ];

#declare i = 0;
#while ( defined(dataFile) )

    #declare rightAscentionAsDegrees = 0.0;
    #declare declinationAsDegrees = 0.0;
    #declare zVal = 0.0;

    #read( dataFile, rightAscentionAsDegrees, declinationAsDegrees, zVal )

    #declare celestialData[RA][i] = rightAscentionAsDegrees;
    #declare celestialData[DECL][i] = declinationAsDegrees;
    #declare celestialData[ZVAL][i] = zVal;

    #declare i = i+1;
#end
    #debug concat( "\n\nTotal values read from file: ", str(i,5,0), "\n\n" )
#fclose dataFile

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to load a series of data points from a file, but I'm only
getting
> about half of them loaded. The data file is structured with three float
> values per line:
>
> raInDeg decInDeg zval

Well, the data needs to be

[Float] , [Float], [Float],
(Repeat)

There needs to be a final comma, after which there is no data anymore.

Aside of that, no clue what could cause the problem.

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to load a series of data points from a file, but I'm only getting
> about half of them loaded. The data file is structured with three float
> values per line:
>
> raInDeg decInDeg zval
>
> Each triplet defining the rightascention, declination, and zvalue(redshift)
> of a celestial body. The data ranges (after a bit of processing!) are:
> raInDeg: 0 ~ 360
> decInDeg: -90.0 ~ +90.0
> zval: estimated at 0.0 ~ 10.0
>
> Someone suggested that it might be commas between numbers,
> but when I comma delimit the file, it no longer reads.
> It reads about 4000 out of 9000 entries when I tab-delimit them.
> Any suggestions?

The amount of information you provided is not likely to be sufficient to
tell you where your problem lies.  The POV-Ray #read function is only
able to read comma separated values.  If you have the impression that
this does not work you should show the minimal code necessary to
reproduce this as well as the data file you try to read.

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> > I'm trying to load a series of data points from a file, but I'm only
> getting
> > about half of them loaded. The data file is structured with three float
> > values per line:
> >
> > raInDeg decInDeg zval
>
> Well, the data needs to be
>
> [Float] , [Float], [Float],

Thanks, that did it; it was the trailing commas at the end of line. Excel
doesn't export that way, so I had to do a search & replace on newline
character, adding the commas.

Post a reply to this message