POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blurred Reflections (just a suggestion) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Blurred Reflections (just a suggestion) (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Subject: Blurred Reflections (just a suggestion)
Date: 6 Jun 2003 10:11:04
Message: <3ee0a0f8@news.povray.org>
Hi all!

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed and
what came of, nontheless, I've thought about
blurred reflections somewhat, and this is what
I've come up with:

A new keyword placed in the finish statement
would activate it, much like blur_samples
activates focal blur in the camera.
To control it, two values would be needed: one,
to control how great the difference from actual
reflection angle is allowed (either in degrees,
like 90 for hemispheric blurring, or in percentage,
where 100 would be spherical and 50 hemispherical),
and then a distribution value, to weigh the blurred
reflections towards the original reflection direction.

Still, I'm not sure if spherical is actually needed, and if
hemispherical would be enough. In the latter case,
the radiosity distribution might be used, and a value would
weigh the different samples different in accordance to
the discrepancy to the original reflection-direction.

The advantage of this would be that everything is done
as always, with the modification that not one reflection
ray is shot, but perhaps maybe 30 or 40. This would
get exponential when used on all surfaces, but thats
what always happens with raytracing, right? :-)

I've been wondering about this ever since using
blurred reflection via averaging textures. That
method doesn't supply enough control over the
reflection scattering and may yield in different
regions of good vs bad blurring, e.g. when
the normals averaged are too similiar to actually
scatter the reflections enough.

Sadly, I'm not much into POV-Code, so someone
else might have to do this...

As a side-note, why hasn't blurred reflections been
implemented in the official POV? Just curious...

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde

Post a reply to this message

> As a side-note, why hasn't blurred reflections been
> implemented in the official POV? Just curious...

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povQandT/languageQandT.html#blurredreflection

For the other stuff you have written about - see: