POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : random dot stereograms Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  random dot stereograms (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: QuadHall
Subject: random dot stereograms
Date: 1 Feb 2003 01:01:02
Message: <3e3b629e$1@news.povray.org>
are there any include files/macros for povray 3.5 for producing random dot
stereograms?

thanks for any info

hall

Post a reply to this message

From: Harold Baize
Subject: Re: random dot stereograms
Date: 1 Feb 2003 16:35:48
Message: <3e3c3db4@news.povray.org>
To make a RDS you need to create a depth map, which you can do
with POV-Ray. Basically, you define all the objects in you scene as
a union, then apply a texture consisting of a z-gradient with white at
the front, and black at the back. The resulting image is then used in
one of many programs that generate the dot pattern.

HB

"QuadHall" <tre### [at] ww-interlinknet> wrote in message
> are there any include files/macros for povray 3.5 for producing random dot
> stereograms?
>
> thanks for any info
>
> hall

Post a reply to this message

Do you have any recommendations for dos/windows programs?

hall

"Harold Baize" <bai### [at] itsaucsfedu> wrote in message

> To make a RDS you need to create a depth map, which you can do
> with POV-Ray. Basically, you define all the objects in you scene as
> a union, then apply a texture consisting of a z-gradient with white at
> the front, and black at the back. The resulting image is then used in
> one of many programs that generate the dot pattern.
>
> HB
>
> "QuadHall" <tre### [at] ww-interlinknet> wrote in message
> > are there any include files/macros for povray 3.5 for producing random
dot
> > stereograms?
> >
> > thanks for any info
> >
> > hall

Post a reply to this message

It has been so long that I would need to do a google search :-(
However, Batronyx has done what you asked. He is making
SIS (Single Image Stereograms) using a pigment function in
POV-Ray!

Examples are in povray.binaries.images and the code has been
posted in povray.binaries.scene-files.

Thank you Batronyx!

> Do you have any recommendations for dos/windows programs?
>
> hall
>
> "Harold Baize" <bai### [at] itsaucsfedu> wrote in message
> >
> > To make a RDS you need to create a depth map, which you can do
> > with POV-Ray. Basically, you define all the objects in you scene as
> > a union, then apply a texture consisting of a z-gradient with white at
> > the front, and black at the back. The resulting image is then used in
> > one of many programs that generate the dot pattern.
> >
> > HB
> >
> > "QuadHall" <tre### [at] ww-interlinknet> wrote in message
> > > are there any include files/macros for povray 3.5 for producing random
> dot
> > > stereograms?
> > >
> > > thanks for any info
> > >
> > > hall

Post a reply to this message

Also, if you are not familiar with making a depth map with
POV-Ray you can find an excellent tutorial authored by
Rune:
http://runevision.com/graphics/stereo/depthmap/depthmap.asp

Harolddd

"QuadHall" <tre### [at] ww-interlinknet> wrote in message
> Do you have any recommendations for dos/windows programs?
>
> hall
>
> "Harold Baize" <bai### [at] itsaucsfedu> wrote in message
> >
> > To make a RDS you need to create a depth map, which you can do
> > with POV-Ray. Basically, you define all the objects in you scene as
> > a union, then apply a texture consisting of a z-gradient with white at
> > the front, and black at the back. The resulting image is then used in
> > one of many programs that generate the dot pattern.
> >
> > HB
> >
> > "QuadHall" <tre### [at] ww-interlinknet> wrote in message
> > > are there any include files/macros for povray 3.5 for producing random
> dot
> > > stereograms?
> > >
> > > thanks for any info
> > >
> > > hall

Post a reply to this message

well thank you, I shall enjoy looking at the code!