POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mathematical BoneHead Server Time
5 Aug 2024 12:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Mathematical BoneHead (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Blane Bizzaro
Subject: Mathematical BoneHead
Date: 11 Oct 2002 12:09:57
Message: <3da6f5ec.186263866@news.povray.org>
Hello All,
Creating an animation of a sphere rolling along the xz plane is easy
if you do this...

object {sphere {<0,0,0>1

                 rotate <0, 0, -clock*360>
      translate <-pi, 1, 0>
      translate <2*pi*clock, 0, 0>}
        }

But how do you do it if the radius of the sphere is < or >1 ?
Any radius values less than 1 cause the sphere to look like it is
sliding and rolling, not truely rolling.

I'm sure this is an easy math problem, I just can't see it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
--Blane

Post a reply to this message

>Creating an animation of a sphere rolling along the xz plane is easy
>if you do this...
>
>object {sphere {<0,0,0>1
>
>                 rotate <0, 0, -clock*360>
>      translate <-pi, 1, 0>
>      translate <2*pi*clock, 0, 0>}
>        }
>
>But how do you do it if the radius of the sphere is < or >1 ?
>Any radius values less than 1 cause the sphere to look like it is
>sliding and rolling, not truely rolling.

#declare R = 0.35; // radius of sphere

 object {sphere {<0,0,0> R
      rotate <0, 0, -clock*360>
      translate <-pi, R, 0>