POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possible pair of bugs affecting transparency. Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Possible pair of bugs affecting transparency. (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Possible pair of bugs affecting transparency.
Date: 22 Sep 2002 00:18:03
Message: <3d8d447b@news.povray.org>
The code below shows 2 potential bugs affecting transparency.
These have been observed on 3.1 (using material_map) and 3.5, at least on a
Windows version, running XP.
The first bug makes the transparent part visible. It's apparently linked
with fog turbulence.
The second bug makes the normals behind look weird when the transparency
texture is scaled very unevenly (pure 100% transparent texture is not
affected).

Can other people confirm that these problems exist and that they are really
bugs (they were reported by a Moray/POV-Ray 3.1 user)?

camera {location  -z*35}
light_source {(x+y-z)*50 rgb 1}

fog {
  fog_type   1
  distance   30
  color      rgb 1
// turbulence makes the transparent part visible
  turbulence 0.8
}
sphere{0,8 pigment{rgb x+y} normal{bumps 1}}
union{
    triangle{-x,-x+y,x+y}
    triangle{-x,x,x+y}
    hollow
    texture{
        pigment_pattern{
            bozo color_map{[0.4 rgb 1][0.4 rgb 0]}
        }
        texture_map{
            [0.5 pigment{rgb x} finish{ambient 0 diffuse 1}]
            [0.5 pigment{rgbt 1} finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0}]
        }
// uneven scaling makes the normals behind look weird
        scale <1,1,0.001>
    }
    scale 2
    translate -z*20

}

--
**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

Post a reply to this message

I can confirm both bugs. Windows XP &  pov3.5

Mick

"Gilles Tran" <git### [at] wanadoofr> wrote in message
> The code below shows 2 potential bugs affecting transparency.
> These have been observed on 3.1 (using material_map) and 3.5, at least on
> Windows version, running XP.
> The first bug makes the transparent part visible. It's apparently linked
> with fog turbulence.
> The second bug makes the normals behind look weird when the transparency
> texture is scaled very unevenly (pure 100% transparent texture is not
> affected).
>
> Can other people confirm that these problems exist and that they are
really
> bugs (they were reported by a Moray/POV-Ray 3.1 user)?
>

> camera {location  -z*35}
> light_source {(x+y-z)*50 rgb 1}
>
> fog {
>   fog_type   1
>   distance   30
>   color      rgb 1
> // turbulence makes the transparent part visible
>   turbulence 0.8
> }
> sphere{0,8 pigment{rgb x+y} normal{bumps 1}}
> union{
>     triangle{-x,-x+y,x+y}
>     triangle{-x,x,x+y}
>     hollow
>     texture{
>         pigment_pattern{
>             bozo color_map{[0.4 rgb 1][0.4 rgb 0]}
>         }
>         texture_map{
>             [0.5 pigment{rgb x} finish{ambient 0 diffuse 1}]
>             [0.5 pigment{rgbt 1} finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0}]
>         }
> // uneven scaling makes the normals behind look weird
>         scale <1,1,0.001>
>     }
>     scale 2
>     translate -z*20
>
> }
>

> --
> **********************
> http://www.oyonale.com
> **********************
> - Graphic experiments
> - POV-Ray and Poser computer images
> - Posters

Post a reply to this message

> The first bug makes the transparent part visible. It's apparently linked
> with fog turbulence.

This has been a known limitation of fog and transparent objects for many years.
It came up several times during the beta of 3.5 and I seem to recall the
general consensus and official response was that media should be used instead.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message