POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PoV can change characters... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  PoV can change characters... (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: St
Subject: PoV can change characters...
Date: 12 Sep 2002 15:14:46
Message: <3d80e7a6@news.povray.org>
A few questions if I may?

  For my present WIP I'm using ac3d a fair bit for some simple modelling, and over
the last couple of days, PoV has changed a few characters or numbers in the ac3d
mesh code. For example, it will change a digit for a $ sign, or it might say that
"...an expected (whatever)... but > found instead", when it *IS* there and should
be there anyway, or the other day it changed 'smooth_triangle' for
'smogth_triangle'.

These aren't really a problem as all I have to do is change back to a previous
digit or letter.

     It's a near 8Mb file so far and my main questions are; how far, and how big
(filesize wise) can I go?

       What can PoV handle?

      I have a feeling that it's the filesize that's doing this?

     My worry is that although the image looks fine at the moment, I fear that
after using some media and possibly other time-intensive code like focal_blur, I
may never get the image to render in the end because also a few days ago PoV
crashed and I lost most of the code I was working on, (it went back about 8
stages!) Luckily, I had already saved a .jpg image of the scene, so I used it for
reference, and the ac3d files weren't affected, so I could still use them.

     Any comments?

     ~Steve~

   PS. Quick tip for any new-users out there who might be creating large filesize
scenes; use 'select all' and copy and paste into a new file and then name the file
using a different name like 'myfile2.pov'. It will save you a lot of hassle if you
encounter problems like I have!  ;)

   PPS. For PoV admin; 'Tips and Tricks' forum?

Post a reply to this message