POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity Suggestion Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:11:36 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity Suggestion (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Andrew Cocker
Subject: Radiosity Suggestion
Date: 30 Aug 2002 08:27:55
Message: <3d6f64cb@news.povray.org>
Whilst rendering internal room scenes with plane walls, I have noticed (as have many
others
I'm certain) that using a high error_bound gives better (ie non-blotchy) results on
the large
flat areas, but poor (ie too light) shadows. However, a very low error_bound creates
blotchiness on the large flat areas, but great shadows.

Would it be possible (and I am no expert on how radiosity works) to specify different
values
for error_bound for different areas of the image, and have POV-Ray interpolate between
them to
give smooth transitions? My idea works thus:

Imagine the rendered output as a grid, with <0,0> at top left, and <10,10> at bottom
right.
The user could then say something like:

error_bound_map {
<0,0>,1,
<3.46,2.45>,0.1,
<3.65,2.84>,0.15,
<1.165,9.866>,1.22,
}

POV-Ray could then create it's own array (of user_specified resolution) of error_bound
entries, covering the image.
It would be very helpful if entries could be inserted into the map out of order too,
as and
when the user decides a new entry is needed, rather than having to place them in order
of
numeric value (is that clear?).

This might also help speed-up parts of the image too, I think.

I have no idea if the above is workable, or codeable within the confines of the
current source
code. Maybe in version 4? (or hopefully in version 4, a better quality of radiosity
could be
achieved without the above being neccessary.)

Any comments on this?

All the best,

Andy Cocker

Post a reply to this message