POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Website gallery deprecates 10best.raytrace.com Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Website gallery deprecates 10best.raytrace.com (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Website gallery deprecates 10best.raytrace.com
Date: 9 Jul 2002 14:53:13
Message: <3d2b3119$1@news.povray.org>
First of all, I think there's a software terminology to express, for
example, what RC4 did to RC3. Is it "deprecate"?

The site says,
> We are currently working on a user gallery that will allow
>  registered users so show some of their best images.
>  Voting for those images to be included in the Hall of
>  Fame will be available.

I think this is a great idea. It is what I'd hoped to accomplish with the
10best.raytrace.com project.  I figured it would have needed about 500-2500
submissions to get a saleable CD-ROM to benefit the POV-Team: we got
probably 220.  The original deadline for submissions has now passed by
probably a year or so.  At one point I got a suggestion of trying again
later but then life got in the way...

I'm considering cleaning out the upload directories and notifying everyone
of the official closure of the project. (I hope I can keep a little space on
this server for the Shortest Code Contest).   I am purely happy to have had
the opportunity to have *attempted* such an ambitious project for povray.
There are multiple reasons, from the time & software tool availability of
the administrator to the greater ease of "trusting" a "povray.org" site why
it's better for this new gallery to be "the one" for povray...

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:52:36 -0400, "Greg M. Johnson"
<gregj:-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote:

>I'm considering cleaning out the upload directories and notifying everyone
>of the official closure of the project. (I hope I can keep a little space on
>this server for the Shortest Code Contest).   I am purely happy to have had
>the opportunity to have *attempted* such an ambitious project for povray.

It still is a great idea, Greg - see that even the POV Team is
considering it now :)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg