POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug in concentric spheres Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Bug in concentric spheres (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Sampo Niskanen
Subject: Bug in concentric spheres
Date: 15 Dec 2001 10:31:17
Message: <3c1b6cc5@news.povray.org>
Hi.

I think I have found a bug in POVRay. I'm trying to make several
concentric spheres which are all completely transparent, but which have a
reflection. If I make three or more transparent objects inside one
another, the inmost ones will be rendered totally black.

For example the following code:
---snip---
#include "colors.inc"
camera { location <0, 0, -2>  look_at 0 }
light_source { <1,1,-2> White*8 }
plane { -z, -2   pigment { Green } }

#declare COUNT=0.1;
#while (COUNT<0.31)
sphere {
        <0,0,0>,COUNT
        pigment { transmit 1.0 }
}
#declare COUNT=COUNT+0.1;
#end
---snip---

If the number 0.31 is changed to 0.21 (so there are only two concentric
spheres), the image renders, as expected, to a totally green image. But
with 0.31 or larger, there is a black sphere in the middle of the image.
(It gets bigger with larger values, so that the third outmost object is
always black.)

I originally noticed it in the Debian version "3.02.Linux.cc", but trying
the official Linux version "3.1g.Linux.gcc" didn't help. I've also tried
changing want of the options (eg. bounding box on/off), but nothing has
helped.

I'm sorry if this is a known bug/feature, but I couldn't find any info
about it. If there's a way around this, I'd be grateful if you could tell
me how to do it. (It's for a project of mine which is in a bit of a
hurry.)

(I sent this originally to tea### [at] povrayorg, they suggested I post it
here.)

 /____\   Sampo Niskanen <=> sam### [at] ikifi  \
       \       http://www.iki.fi/sampo.niskanen/     \
        \     ________________________________________\___
         \___/___________________________________________/

Post a reply to this message

> I think I have found a bug in POVRay. I'm trying to make several
> concentric spheres which are all completely transparent, but which have a
> reflection. If I make three or more transparent objects inside one
> another, the inmost ones will be rendered totally black.

> I'm sorry if this is a known bug/feature, but I couldn't find any info
> about it. If there's a way around this, I'd be grateful if you could tell
> me how to do it. (It's for a project of mine which is in a bit of a
> hurry.)

See the following for an explaination and an easy fix -
http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ/languageVFAQ.html#maxtracelevel

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

Increase max_trace_level in your global_settings block to about 5 or so.

"Sampo Niskanen" <sam### [at] ikifi> wrote in message

> Hi.
>
> I think I have found a bug in POVRay. I'm trying to make several
> concentric spheres which are all completely transparent, but which have a
> reflection. If I make three or more transparent objects inside one
> another, the inmost ones will be rendered totally black.
>
> For example the following code:
> ---snip---
> #include "colors.inc"
> camera { location <0, 0, -2>  look_at 0 }
> light_source { <1,1,-2> White*8 }
> plane { -z, -2   pigment { Green } }
>
> #declare COUNT=0.1;
> #while (COUNT<0.31)
> sphere {
>         <0,0,0>,COUNT
>         pigment { transmit 1.0 }
> }
> #declare COUNT=COUNT+0.1;
> #end
> ---snip---
>
> If the number 0.31 is changed to 0.21 (so there are only two concentric
> spheres), the image renders, as expected, to a totally green image. But
> with 0.31 or larger, there is a black sphere in the middle of the image.
> (It gets bigger with larger values, so that the third outmost object is
> always black.)
>
> I originally noticed it in the Debian version "3.02.Linux.cc", but trying
> the official Linux version "3.1g.Linux.gcc" didn't help. I've also tried
> changing want of the options (eg. bounding box on/off), but nothing has
> helped.
>
> I'm sorry if this is a known bug/feature, but I couldn't find any info
> about it. If there's a way around this, I'd be grateful if you could tell
> me how to do it. (It's for a project of mine which is in a bit of a
> hurry.)
>

> (I sent this originally to tea### [at] povrayorg, they suggested I post it
> here.)
>
> --
>  /____\   Sampo Niskanen <=> sam### [at] ikifi  \
>        \       http://www.iki.fi/sampo.niskanen/     \