POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory troubles Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Memory troubles (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Andrew
Subject: Memory troubles
Date: 27 Oct 2001 06:50:50
Message: <3bda918a@news.povray.org>
"Parse Error: Out of memory.  Cannot allocate 349,920,000 bytes for JPEG
line buffer."

But the thing is, I had over 700MB of disk space available for virtual
memory (only 64MB physical).  Am I missing something here?

PS, yes the JPEG is that big - see my "Hi-Res Planet Maps" post a little
way up.

Post a reply to this message

> "Parse Error: Out of memory.  Cannot allocate 349,920,000 bytes for JPEG
> line buffer."
>
> But the thing is, I had over 700MB of disk space available for virtual
> memory (only 64MB physical).  Am I missing something here?

You have missed mentioning what OS you use and you maybe also should check
your virtual memory settings.

Furthermore have you tried using a different file format?  It is known
that Povray 3.5 at least had problems with some types of JPEG files.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

Converting to PNG seems to have done the trick, though it took an hour
to do the conversion.  POV at least doesn't immediately fail, though it
will be another hour or two parsing I would think...

> Andrew wrote:
> >
> > "Parse Error: Out of memory.  Cannot allocate 349,920,000 bytes for
JPEG
> > line buffer."
> >
> > But the thing is, I had over 700MB of disk space available for
virtual
> > memory (only 64MB physical).  Am I missing something here?
> >

> You have missed mentioning what OS you use and you maybe also should
check
> your virtual memory settings.
>
> Furthermore have you tried using a different file format?  It is known
> that Povray 3.5 at least had problems with some types of JPEG files.
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
> IsoWood include, radiosity tutorial, TransSkin and other
> things on: http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/

Post a reply to this message