POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : new hardware configuration question ?? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  new hardware configuration question ?? (Message 1 to 10 of 23)
From: MR
Subject: new hardware configuration question ??
Date: 4 Oct 2001 14:28:38
Message: <3bbcaa56$1@news.povray.org>
hello,

i've got an old 166MHz windows machine with 32MB of
memory.  don't use it much cuz i've got a laptop now that
i like a lot.

but i'm thinking about upgrading the desktop and i would
like to know if there is a maximum amount of memory
that windows ME or 98SE can use.  i can't believe how
cheap everything is now!  i can get a FIC athlon 1.2GHz
motherboard for $189.  i can get 500MB of memory for
less that $80!!

i want to spend $350 and run the athlon with 1 GB of
memory (i'm wanting to get prepared for megapov or
3.5, and i understand they are memory pigs), but i'd
feel like an idiot if the op system won't run it.

i've also heard that the bios on the motherboard can be
a limiting factor.

thanks, miker

Post a reply to this message