POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : switch question Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  switch question (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Y
Subject: switch question
Date: 23 Sep 2001 14:52:13
Message: <3bae2f5d@news.povray.org>
As I can't keep up with the 3.5b versions ;) I'm still using 3.1 and Mega 7.0.

I'm sure that in Megapov7, one can include switches for the Width and Height
(+Wn & +Hn ?)  in the scene file but I cannot find an example of how it's done.
I have searched the docs, believe me ! but can't get the keywords Image_height
& width or +Wn to be recognized.  Will someone please give me the simple
code for use in the scene?

Also ... is it possible to specify AA depth and threshold in the scene?
I haven't been able to.
If not, what's the simplest method to use to change resolution and AA without
having to edit the Quickres INI every time?  Can i write my own INI and then
call it up to override the quickres.ini ?  I have zero experience with command
lines or useing sperate INI's.  Am reading up INI's right now.

One more Q ... am endeavoring to create some logos for a friend using 320x240
and 160x120.  At this res, what's the best AA threshold and depth to use ? They
don't take much time to render so I would like to shoot for the highest quality
Possible.
Tanks

> I'm sure that in Megapov7, one can include switches for the Width and
Height
> (+Wn & +Hn ?)  in the scene file but I cannot find an example of how it's
done.
> I have searched the docs, believe me ! but can't get the keywords
Image_height
> & width or +Wn to be recognized.  Will someone please give me the simple
> code for use in the scene?

global_settings {
ini_option "+w320 +h240"
 }

> Also ... is it possible to specify AA depth and threshold in the scene?
> I haven't been able to.

Same way as above, only use +a0.3 for example, of course  :-)

> If not, what's the simplest method to use to change resolution and AA
without
> having to edit the Quickres INI every time?  Can i write my own INI and
then
> call it up to override the quickres.ini ?  I have zero experience with
command
> lines or useing sperate INI's.  Am reading up INI's right now.

Adding to the renderer\Quickres.ini file is as easy as going into the Tools
menu and selecting Edit secondary INI file.  I think that's better than
creating a new one, only my opinion of the moment though.

> One more Q ... am endeavoring to create some logos for a friend using
320x240
> and 160x120.  At this res, what's the best AA threshold and depth to use ?
They
> don't take much time to render so I would like to shoot for the highest
quality
> Possible.

+a0.1 +r4 might do okay and not take forever.  A jitter (+j1 is default) of
1.0 can sometimes foul up things by making grainy lines though so you might
want to lower it.
Everyone has their own preference.  I just like to also use +am2 instead of
+am1 because the description of how it works sounds good to me  :-)

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

: +a0.1 +r4 might do okay and not take forever.  A jitter (+j1 is default) of
: 1.0 can sometimes foul up things by making grainy lines though so you might
: want to lower it.
: Everyone has their own preference.  I just like to also use +am2 instead of
: +am1 because the description of how it works sounds good to me  :-)
:
: Bob H.
:

Thanks Bob ... messed with it a bit and didn't find a lot of difference at
320x240 between am1 and am2 ... am2 does slow it up quite a bit but as
you say ... it sounds cooler ;)

Can all the switches be used in the global ini-options ?
Thanks again