POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possibly stupid question re: autosave Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  Possibly stupid question re: autosave (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Possibly stupid question re: autosave
Date: 16 Sep 2001 22:10:47
Message: <3ba55ba7@news.povray.org>
Is there an autosave feature operative in either Mega 0.7 or 3.5?

When working on important projects, I frequently end up with dozens of
ini files,  walker01.pov, walker02.pov, etc.,  as I make stepwise
improvements to complicated code.  Sometimes when I have to go back to
an old file, it is halfway between two versions.  It's possible this is
just error on my part, but I thought I'd ask..........

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001 22:09:57 -0400, "Greg M. Johnson"
<"gregj;-)56590\""@aol.c;-)om> wrote:

>Is there an autosave feature operative in either Mega 0.7 or 3.5?

>When working on important projects, I frequently end up with dozens of
>ini files,  walker01.pov, walker02.pov, etc.,  as I make stepwise
>improvements to complicated code.  Sometimes when I have to go back to
>an old file, it is halfway between two versions.  It's possible this is
>just error on my part, but I thought I'd ask..........

What I do is assign a post-scene command in povray.ini which archives
the current file, or the current directory, or whatever I need
archived, in a way which supports revision tracking. On Linux I use
CVS and on Windows/DOS I use UltraCompressor, which supports multiple
versions of the same file in an archive (i.e. revision tracking :) ).
Saved a lot of hair in the past.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg