POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: New PC Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New PC (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: KalleK
Subject: Re: New PC
Date: 10 Sep 2001 02:40:28
Message: <3b9c605c$1@news.povray.org>
This should go p.o-t

> That sucker's loud!  It has three case fans, but you can set the speed
> on two of those and I barely notice a difference.  It has the stupid
> AMD-recommended Sparkle PSU, but most of the noise comes from the CPU
> fan I think.  It's supposed to be a good fan.  The cheaper models by the
> same manufacturer (Tai-Sol) were comparable to the other manufacturers
> offered (around 30dB--is that normal/good?), but apparently a better fan
> to them just means twice the CFM.  It runs at 7000RPM!!!  Is that
> normal?  Can I turn it down?  I hate that you can only ever find half
> the information--"cools CPUs up to 1GHz".  Is that a weak fan or was
> 1GHz the fastest CPU when it was released?  "cools CPUs 40% better"?
> Well, it's at a nice frigid 39C...

Athlon 1,4GHz here, too
My Fan runs at 4400RPM (well it did 5100 with another MoBo). But the temperature
is up to 67C. It's 55C right now, but in the hot summer with 30C outside (the
PC,) I got 71C.
Well, it's loud, too. Years ago, I bought a Pentium90, and I thought - that's
loud! I changed the fan and the power supply, it didn't helped much. I thought
it was loud, but than I bought a Pentium II 300, and I called this monster a
vacuum cleaner, because of the noise. And now, having an Athlon? Whenever I turn
on my "good old" PII, I think "Ahhh. Hmm, how nice - Silence!"
When I bought that Fan for the Athlon, they told me to buy the one that goes up
to 1.2GHz - the other one was up to 1.5Ghz. They measure with different
standards, they told me. AMD says, their Cpu can stand something like 90C. The
1.5GHz company took this statement. the 1.2GHz company took 60C as a limit, I
think.
I don't know how to measure the noise of my Fan so I don't know if 30dB is good.
I just now, that my machine is loud, too.
There are two fans in the power supply, one at the southbridge and the big one
on the CPU.

cukk

Post a reply to this message