POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : gamma question Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  gamma question (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Simon
Subject: gamma question
Date: 29 Aug 2001 16:14:58
Message: <3b8d4d42@news.povray.org>
Does povs gamma correction affect each color of the pixel
or only the brightness?
When I render with display_gamma 1.0 and assumed_gamma 0.5,
everything looks a bit gray.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kari Kivisalo
Subject: Re: gamma question
Date: 29 Aug 2001 17:02:06
Message: <3B8D5900.9AA3CAFC@engineer.com>
Simon wrote:

> Does povs gamma correction affect each color of the pixel
> or only the brightness?

Gamma correction is applied to each RGB component separately.
That's how it's done on all RGB systems. Thus both color
and brightness are affected. Maybe you have some specific
scene where colors differ from expected?

_____________
Kari Kivisalo

Post a reply to this message

> > Does povs gamma correction affect each color of the pixel
> > or only the brightness?
>
> Gamma correction is applied to each RGB component separately.
> That's how it's done on all RGB systems. Thus both color
> and brightness are affected. Maybe you have some specific
> scene where colors differ from expected?

Yes, your room.When I render it with assumed_gamma 0.5 and displa_gamma 1,
the brightness is ok but the colors are all a bit to gray.

It looks almost the same when I render it without assumed_gamma and
with post_process{exponent{rgb 0.5}}