POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Athlon and Pentium 4 Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Athlon and Pentium 4 (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: [ShockWave]
Subject: Athlon and Pentium 4
Date: 22 Jan 2001 03:49:55
Message: <3a6bf433@news.povray.org>
It has been a LONG time since the last release, when does a new realease
come? Are there any Beta version?

A new POV-Ray that supports the new things in AMD Athlon and Intel Pentium
4!

Post a reply to this message

From: Jérôme Grimbert
Subject: Re: Athlon and Pentium 4
Date: 22 Jan 2001 04:01:49
Message: <3A6BF705.B0D168A1@atosorigin.com>
"[ShockWave]" wrote:

> It has been a LONG time since the last release, when does a new realease
> come? Are there any Beta version?
>
> A new POV-Ray that supports the new things in AMD Athlon and Intel Pentium
> 4!

I'd like to remain that POV-Ray is meant to be PORTABLE.
If you want to use CPU specific instructions, it should be
done by the COMPILER/OPTIMIZER for that CPU, not the source code.

Post a reply to this message

> > It has been a LONG time since the last release, when does a new realease
> > come? Are there any Beta version?
> >
> > A new POV-Ray that supports the new things in AMD Athlon and Intel Pentium
> > 4!
>
> I'd like to remain that POV-Ray is meant to be PORTABLE.
> If you want to use CPU specific instructions, it should be
> done by the COMPILER/OPTIMIZER for that CPU, not the source code.

It sounds like intel is going to do their own compile, optimized for the pentium
4.  Well for linux anyway.  A friend called me from intel the other day, and was
telling me about how incredible the processor was on software optimized for it.
Maybe AMD will take notice.

Dan Johnson

Post a reply to this message