POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lens Flares? Server Time
8 Oct 2026 18:59:28 EDT (-0400)
  Lens Flares? (Message 1 to 35 of 35)  
From: Timothy R  Cook
Subject: Lens Flares?
Date: 6 Nov 2001 18:45:27
Message: <3BE87585.572DA5DB@scifi-fantasy.com>
Something to toy with using photons, perhaps?
The task: cause a lens flare in a rendering without using a plug-in,
and without using objects to simulate the parts of the flare.
Possibly involves building a lens to put in front of the camera...
-- 
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GFA dpu- s: a?-- C++(++++) U P? L E--- W++(+++)>$
N++ o? K- w(+) O? M-(--) V? PS+(+++) PE(--) Y(--)
PGP-(--) t* 5++>+++++ X+ R* tv+ b++(+++) DI
D++(---) G(++) e*>++ h+ !r--- !y--
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------


Post a reply to this message

From: Mahalis
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 6 Nov 2001 19:30:50
Message: <3be880ba$1@news.povray.org>
Heh heh. Of course, then you'd have to give the lens internal reflection,
and make sure it didn't distort the camera's view... I think you're better
off just using NKFlare.

--

//Mahalis
camera{location<0,0.25,-2> look_at 0.5*y} #declare T=texture{pigment{crackle
scale 0.5 rotate 90 turbulence 0.75 color_map{[0 rgb 1][0.05 rgb 1][0.1
rgb<1,0.25,1>][0.25 rgbf 1][1 rgbf 1]}} finish{ambient 1}} #declare
c=difference{torus{0.5,0.1 rotate -90*x}box{<0.7,0,0.2>,<-0.7,-0.7,-0.2>}}
merge{object{c translate<0.5,0.5,0>} object{c translate<-0.5,0.5,0>}
cylinder{<1,0.5,0>,<1,0,0>,0.1} cylinder{<-1,0.5,0>,<-1,0,0>,0.1}
cylinder{0.5*y,0,0.1} texture{T}}
--


"Timothy R. Cook" <tim### [at] scifi-fantasycom> wrote in message
news:3BE87585.572DA5DB@scifi-fantasy.com...
> Something to toy with using photons, perhaps?
> The task: cause a lens flare in a rendering without using a plug-in,
> and without using objects to simulate the parts of the flare.
> Possibly involves building a lens to put in front of the camera...
> --
> Tim Cook
> http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com
>
> -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
> Version: 3.12
> GFA dpu- s: a?-- C++(++++) U P? L E--- W++(+++)>$
> N++ o? K- w(+) O? M-(--) V? PS+(+++) PE(--) Y(--)
> PGP-(--) t* 5++>+++++ X+ R* tv+ b++(+++) DI
> D++(---) G(++) e*>++ h+ !r--- !y--
> ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------


Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor Quayle
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 6 Nov 2001 19:30:50
Message: <3be880ba$2@news.povray.org>
You found me out!  A while back I started to try to do this (one of many
projects simmering on the back burner for me).  After a week of searching I
finally found some values for a 35mm camera lens system and started working
on it.  Last week I was playing a bit more with it and finally got the
beginnings of successful 'real' lens flares.  Mind you it is quite a render,
with 5 lenses (10 refracting/reflecting surfaces) you have to set the max
trace level quite high to get anything workable with all those reflections
and refractions (During the latest runs at it I was up to 5000 for
max_trace_level).  More on that in the future when I get more time to play
with it.


-tgq


"Timothy R. Cook" <tim### [at] scifi-fantasycom> wrote in message
news:3BE87585.572DA5DB@scifi-fantasy.com...
> Something to toy with using photons, perhaps?
> The task: cause a lens flare in a rendering without using a plug-in,
> and without using objects to simulate the parts of the flare.
> Possibly involves building a lens to put in front of the camera...
> --
> Tim Cook
> http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com
>
> -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
> Version: 3.12
> GFA dpu- s: a?-- C++(++++) U P? L E--- W++(+++)>$
> N++ o? K- w(+) O? M-(--) V? PS+(+++) PE(--) Y(--)
> PGP-(--) t* 5++>+++++ X+ R* tv+ b++(+++) DI
> D++(---) G(++) e*>++ h+ !r--- !y--
> ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------


Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 6 Nov 2001 21:03:00
Message: <3BE89675.20409E7F@pacbell.net>
"Timothy R. Cook" wrote:
> 
> Something to toy with using photons, perhaps?
> The task: cause a lens flare in a rendering without using a plug-in,
> and without using objects to simulate the parts of the flare.
> Possibly involves building a lens to put in front of the camera...

I seem to recall that Dan Farmer was playing around with this idea like
5-6 years ago :)

-- 
Ken Tyler


Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 01:17:53
Message: <3be8d211@news.povray.org>
Strange, I was thinking of the same thing last week...

- Nekar
"Trevor Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:3be880ba$2@news.povray.org...
> You found me out!  A while back I started to try to do this (one of many
> projects simmering on the back burner for me).  After a week of searching I
> finally found some values for a 35mm camera lens system and started working
> on it.  Last week I was playing a bit more with it and finally got the
> beginnings of successful 'real' lens flares.  Mind you it is quite a render,
> with 5 lenses (10 refracting/reflecting surfaces) you have to set the max
> trace level quite high to get anything workable with all those reflections
> and refractions (During the latest runs at it I was up to 5000 for
> max_trace_level).  More on that in the future when I get more time to play
> with it.
>
>
> -tgq
>
>
> "Timothy R. Cook" <tim### [at] scifi-fantasycom> wrote in message
> news:3BE87585.572DA5DB@scifi-fantasy.com...
> > Something to toy with using photons, perhaps?
> > The task: cause a lens flare in a rendering without using a plug-in,
> > and without using objects to simulate the parts of the flare.
> > Possibly involves building a lens to put in front of the camera...
> > --
> > Tim Cook
> > http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com
> >
> > -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
> > Version: 3.12
> > GFA dpu- s: a?-- C++(++++) U P? L E--- W++(+++)>$
> > N++ o? K- w(+) O? M-(--) V? PS+(+++) PE(--) Y(--)
> > PGP-(--) t* 5++>+++++ X+ R* tv+ b++(+++) DI
> > D++(---) G(++) e*>++ h+ !r--- !y--
> > ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
>
>


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.286 / Virus Database: 152 - Release Date: 2001/10/09


Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Popov
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 02:43:04
Message: <s9phut41huutiblodjutj1auug9alh07sl@4ax.com>
On Tue, 06 Nov 2001 18:03:33 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>I seem to recall that Dan Farmer was playing around with this idea like
>5-6 years ago :)

Nah, it can't be done without photons so it can't be that long ago.
However, I think Ron made something like that.

Of course, to simulate the flare perfectly, one needs to introduce
diffraction and interference. *sigh*


Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg
TAG      e-mail : pet### [at] tagpovrayorg


Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 03:46:36
Message: <3be8f4ec@news.povray.org>
"Peter Popov" <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote in message
news:s9phut41huutiblodjutj1auug9alh07sl@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 06 Nov 2001 18:03:33 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>

> Of course, to simulate the flare perfectly, one needs to introduce
> diffraction and interference. *sigh*

Something to add to Pov-Ray 4 wishlist!

- Nekar


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.286 / Virus Database: 152 - Release Date: 2001/10/09


Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 06:37:14
Message: <3be91cea@news.povray.org>
Timothy R. Cook <tim### [at] scifi-fantasycom> wrote:
: The task: cause a lens flare in a rendering without using a plug-in,
: and without using objects to simulate the parts of the flare.

  Why? (Except for just the sake of achieving it, even it's extremely slow
and not very useful.)
  It's like making a raytracer with the SDL of POV-Ray. It's slow and not
very useful. It may be fun, but not useful.

  With the include files you get good-looking lensflares of all shapes and
colors easily and it's really fast to render. Not everything has to be
physically correct to look really good.

-- 
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I
],13),8)-3,10>#end blob{N(array[6]{11117333955,
7382340,3358,3900569407,970,4254934330},0)}//                     - Warp -


Post a reply to this message

From:
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 06:47:54
Message: <fm7iutcmne52j18edut85r22snvl4ogo5m@4ax.com>
On 7 Nov 2001 06:37:14 -0500, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>  It's like making a raytracer with the SDL of POV-Ray. It's slow and not
>very useful. It may be fun, but not useful.
>
>  With the include files you get good-looking lensflares of all shapes and
>colors easily and it's really fast to render.

I don't remember content of lens flare include file but does it work correct
with radiosity ?

ABX
--
#declare _=function(a,b,x){((a^2)+(b^2))^.5-x}#default {pigment{color rgb 1}}
union{plane{y,-3}plane{-x,-3}finish{reflection 1 ambient 0}}isosurface{ //ABX
function{_(x-2,y,1)|_((x+y)*.7,z,.1)|_((x+y+2)*.7,z,.1)|_(x/2+y*.8+1.5,z,.1)}
contained_by{box{<0,-3,-.1>,<3,0,.1>}}translate z*15finish{ambient 1}}//POV35


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 08:15:58
Message: <slrn9uid0f.gff.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 09:41:54 +0200, Peter Popov wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Nov 2001 18:03:33 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> 
>>I seem to recall that Dan Farmer was playing around with this idea like
>>5-6 years ago :)
> 
> Nah, it can't be done without photons so it can't be that long ago.
> However, I think Ron made something like that.

Not that I remember.

But it really doesn't require photons, so it's possible Dan was playing 
with it that long ago.

-- 
#macro R(L P)sphere{L F}cylinder{L P F}#end#macro P(V)merge{R(z+a z)R(-z a-z)R(a
-z-z-z a+z)torus{1F clipped_by{plane{a 0}}}translate V}#end#macro Z(a F T)merge{
P(z+a)P(z-a)R(-z-z-x a)pigment{rgbf 1}hollow interior{media{emission 3-T}}}#end 
Z(-x-x.2x)camera{location z*-10rotate x*90normal{bumps.02scale.05}}


Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 09:17:17
Message: <3BE9428F.BAE0967E@pacbell.net>
Ron Parker wrote:
> 
> On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 09:41:54 +0200, Peter Popov wrote:
> > On Tue, 06 Nov 2001 18:03:33 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> >
> >>I seem to recall that Dan Farmer was playing around with this idea like
> >>5-6 years ago :)
> >
> > Nah, it can't be done without photons so it can't be that long ago.
> > However, I think Ron made something like that.
> 
> Not that I remember.
> 
> But it really doesn't require photons, so it's possible Dan was playing
> with it that long ago.

Not just possible, it happened. I have personally rendered the file
he created.

-- 
Ken Tyler


Post a reply to this message

From:
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 09:32:11
Message: <j0hiutonj70dak3rv8ffd2u8eh3pg7va3q@4ax.com>
On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 19:32:27 -0500, "Mahalis" <don### [at] fakeycom> wrote:

> //Mahalis
> camera{....

it is not connected with the thread but I observe your signature and I wait for
Warp's reaction to your wasted space. But there is no reaction. So, allow me to
reduce your signature a little :-)

#macro c()union{cylinder{x+y/2x.1}difference{torus{.5,.1rotate 90*x}box{x+z/5
,-.2-(x+y)/2}translate(1-z)/2}#end merge{c()}c()scale<-1,1,1>}cylinder{y/2,0,
.1}pigment{crackle scale.5rotate 90turbulence.75color_map{[.05rgb 1][.1rgb<1,
.25,1>][.25rgbf 1]}}finish{ambient 1}}camera{location-2*z+y/4look_at y/2}

that's probably not everything I can do but perhaps now Warp could start :-)

ABX
--
#declare _=function(a,b,x){((a^2)+(b^2))^.5-x}#default {pigment{color rgb 1}}
union{plane{y,-3}plane{-x,-3}finish{reflection 1 ambient 0}}isosurface{ //ABX
function{_(x-2,y,1)|_((x+y)*.7,z,.1)|_((x+y+2)*.7,z,.1)|_(x/2+y*.8+1.5,z,.1)}
contained_by{box{<0,-3,-.1>,<3,0,.1>}}translate z*15finish{ambient 1}}//POV35


Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 10:22:09
Message: <3be951a1@news.povray.org>
Włodzimierz ABX Skiba <abx### [at] babilonorg> wrote:
: #macro c()union{cylinder{x+y/2x.1}difference{torus{.5,.1rotate 90*x}box{x+z/5
: ,-.2-(x+y)/2}translate(1-z)/2}#end merge{c()}c()scale<-1,1,1>}cylinder{y/2,0,
: .1}pigment{crackle scale.5rotate 90turbulence.75color_map{[.05rgb 1][.1rgb<1,
: .25,1>][.25rgbf 1]}}finish{ambient 1}}camera{location-2*z+y/4look_at y/2}

  Well, I think I can beat that:

#macro c(X)torus{.5.1clipped_by{box{<.7.2><-.7,-.2.7>}}rotate-90*x translate
x*X}#end #macro C(A)cylinder{A,A-y*.5.1}#end merge{c(.5)c(-.5)C(x)C(-x)C(0)
translate z*2pigment{crackle scale.5rotate 90turbulence.75color_map{[.05rgb
1][.1rgb<1,.25,1>][.25rgbf 1]}}finish{ambient 1}}

  Ok, the texture is not identical to the original, but I don't think it
matters that much.

-- 
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I
],13),8)-3,10>#end blob{N(array[6]{11117333955,
7382340,3358,3900569407,970,4254934330},0)}//                     - Warp -


Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 10:38:44
Message: <3BE955A6.4C3ED542@pacbell.net>
Warp wrote:

> #macro c(X)torus{.5.1clipped_by{box{<.7.2><-.7,-.2.7>}}rotate-90*x translate
> x*X}#end #macro C(A)cylinder{A,A-y*.5.1}#end merge{c(.5)c(-.5)C(x)C(-x)C(0)
> translate z*2pigment{crackle scale.5rotate 90turbulence.75color_map{[.05rgb
> 1][.1rgb<1,.25,1>][.25rgbf 1]}}finish{ambient 1}}

Everybody around here whines about how important it is to use proper
indenting yet look at that mess! When I do it people critisie me. When
you guys do it in your sigs it is all of a sudden ok. Talk about double
standards!

-- 
Ken Tyler :)


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 11:11:51
Message: <slrn9uina8.gj7.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On 7 Nov 2001 10:22:09 -0500, Warp wrote:
> Włodzimierz ABX Skiba <abx### [at] babilonorg> wrote:
>: #macro c()union{cylinder{x+y/2x.1}difference{torus{.5,.1rotate 90*x}box{x+z/5
>: ,-.2-(x+y)/2}translate(1-z)/2}#end merge{c()}c()scale<-1,1,1>}cylinder{y/2,0,
>: .1}pigment{crackle scale.5rotate 90turbulence.75color_map{[.05rgb 1][.1rgb<1,
>: .25,1>][.25rgbf 1]}}finish{ambient 1}}camera{location-2*z+y/4look_at y/2}
> 
>   Well, I think I can beat that:
> 
> #macro c(X)torus{.5.1clipped_by{box{<.7.2><-.7,-.2.7>}}rotate-90*x translate
> x*X}#end #macro C(A)cylinder{A,A-y*.5.1}#end merge{c(.5)c(-.5)C(x)C(-x)C(0)
> translate z*2pigment{crackle scale.5rotate 90turbulence.75color_map{[.05rgb
> 1][.1rgb<1,.25,1>][.25rgbf 1]}}finish{ambient 1}}


#macro c(X)torus{.5.1clipped_by{plane{z,0}}rotate x*90translate x*X}#end#macro C
(A)cylinder{A,A-y*.5.1}#end merge{c(.5)c(-.5)C(x)C(-x)C(0)translate z*2pigment{
crackle scale.5turbulence.75rotate 90color_map{[.05rgb 1][.1rgb 1-.75*y][.25rgbf
1]}}finish{ambient 1}}

and depending on just how unimportant the exact texture is, the rotate 90 could
be changed to rotate 9 or removed altogether (and the translate z*2 could be 
moved to the end, which would also change the texture.)

-- 
#macro R(L P)sphere{L F}cylinder{L P F}#end#macro P(V)merge{R(z+a z)R(-z a-z)R(a
-z-z-z a+z)torus{1F clipped_by{plane{a 0}}}translate V}#end#macro Z(a F T)merge{
P(z+a)P(z-a)R(-z-z-x a)pigment{rgbt 1}hollow interior{media{emission T}}finish{
reflection.1}}#end Z(-x-x.2y)Z(-x-x.4x)camera{location z*-10rotate x*90}


Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor Quayle
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 11:24:36
Message: <3be96044$1@news.povray.org>
See the post in p.b.i

-tgq


Post a reply to this message

From: Bill DeWitt
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 11:34:11
Message: <3be96283$1@news.povray.org>
"Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
news:3BE955A6.4C3ED542@pacbell.net...
>
>
> Warp wrote:
>
> > #macro c(X)torus{.5.1clipped_by{box{<.7.2><-.7,-.2.7>}}rotate-90*x
translate
> > x*X}#end #macro C(A)cylinder{A,A-y*.5.1}#end
merge{c(.5)c(-.5)C(x)C(-x)C(0)
> > translate z*2pigment{crackle scale.5rotate
90turbulence.75color_map{[.05rgb
> > 1][.1rgb<1,.25,1>][.25rgbf 1]}}finish{ambient 1}}
>
> Everybody around here whines about how important it is to use proper
> indenting yet look at that mess! When I do it people critisie me. When
> you guys do it in your sigs it is all of a sudden ok. Talk about double
> standards!

    I agree.

//// New, improved and FAIR code follows ////

 #macro c (X)
    torus {
           0.5, 0.1
              clipped_by {
                          box {
                               <  0.7, 0.2 >,
                               < -0.7,-0.2, 0.7 >
                              }
                         }
              rotate-90*x
              translate x*X
          }
 #end

 #macro C (A)
    cylinder{
             A, A-y*0.5, 0.1
            }
 #end

 merge{
       c(0.5)
       c(-0.5)
       C(x)
       C(-x)
       C(0)
       translate z*2
       pigment{
               crackle
               scale 0.5
               rotate 90
               turbulence 0.75
               color_map {
                          [ 0.05 rgb 1 ]
                          [ 0.10 rgb < 1.0, 0.25, 1.0 > ]
                          [ 0.25 rgbf 1 ]
                         }
              }
              finish {
                      ambient 1
                     }
      }


Post a reply to this message

From:
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 11:35:01
Message: <igoiutsfrfcorap2sal2eklrg66r8urg2j@4ax.com>
On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 07:39:18 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> Everybody around here whines about how important it is to use proper
> indenting yet look at that mess! When I do it people critisie me. When
> you guys do it in your sigs it is all of a sudden ok. Talk about double
> standards!

Perhaps your scripts should create more signaturing results. For example try
this:

#warning#macro P(S)#local T=val(substr(S,1,7));#local B=substr(S,8,strlen(S)-7)
#local O=M(T)#if(strlen(B)>0)#local O=concat(O,P(B))#end O#end#macro M(V)#local
S=chr(mod(V,123))#local F=div(V,123);#if(F>0)#local S=concat(S,M(F));#end S#end
P("167668818409731737237048969510822381537545154019204883010625882")

--
ABX :-)


Post a reply to this message

From: Timothy R  Cook
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 12:15:42
Message: <3BE96B97.595EEF1C@scifi-fantasy.com>
Warp wrote:
> > The task: cause a lens flare in a rendering without using a
> > plug-in, and without using objects to simulate the parts of
> > the flare.
>   Why?

Same reason you (might) render Schroedinger's cat even though
the box is closed: more complete simulation of reality! ;)
-- 
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GFA dpu- s: a?-- C++(++++) U P? L E--- W++(+++)>$
N++ o? K- w(+) O? M-(--) V? PS+(+++) PE(--) Y(--)
PGP-(--) t* 5++>+++++ X+ R* tv+ b++(+++) DI
D++(---) G(++) e*>++ h+ !r--- !y--
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------


Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor Quayle
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 12:24:02
Message: <3be96e32$1@news.povray.org>
"Timothy R. Cook" <tim### [at] scifi-fantasycom> wrote in message
news:3BE96B97.595EEF1C@scifi-fantasy.com...
> Warp wrote:
> > > The task: cause a lens flare in a rendering without using a
> > > plug-in, and without using objects to simulate the parts of
> > > the flare.
> >   Why?
>
> Same reason you (might) render Schroedinger's cat even though
> the box is closed: more complete simulation of reality! ;)
> --


It is my goal in life to create a simulation of reality that is
indistinguishable from reality, we can insert the simulated reality and
noone would be the wiser because it would be *exactly* the same... or
perhaps I already have ;)

-tgq


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 16:01:23
Message: <3be9a123@news.povray.org>
In article <3be91cea@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   Why? (Except for just the sake of achieving it, even it's extremely slow
> and not very useful.)
>   It's like making a raytracer with the SDL of POV-Ray. It's slow and not
> very useful. It may be fun, but not useful.

Hmm, so as you like to write fun but useless things, maybe change POV-Ray to
allow the "real" lense flare? ;-)

    Thorsten

____________________________________________________
Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

Visit POV-Ray on the web: http://mac.povray.org


Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Popov
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 16:24:44
Message: <ug9jut46oculuevnsu5fu89gl7inam8bv0@4ax.com>
On 7 Nov 2001 08:15:58 -0500, Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg>
wrote:

>Not that I remember.

OK, I'll have to check who it was, then.

>But it really doesn't require photons, so it's possible Dan was playing 
>with it that long ago.

How so? Lens flares usually originate from light sources.


Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg
TAG      e-mail : pet### [at] tagpovrayorg


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 16:38:38
Message: <slrn9ujaf0.hkl.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 23:23:35 +0200, Peter Popov wrote:
> On 7 Nov 2001 08:15:58 -0500, Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg>
> wrote:
> 
>>Not that I remember.
> 
> OK, I'll have to check who it was, then.
> 
>>But it really doesn't require photons, so it's possible Dan was playing 
>>with it that long ago.
> 
> How so? Lens flares usually originate from light sources.

True, but since the path is ES*L, it is sufficient to give the light source a
looks_like that has sufficient brightness to survive multiple reflections.
Photons are only useful when the path is ES*DS*L.  

To get some of the more interesting flares requires blurred reflection and/or
refraction, and perhaps a touch of dispersion.  Slow, slow, slow.

-- 
#macro R(P)z+_(P)_(P)_(P+1)_(P+1)+z#end#macro Q(C,T)bicubic_patch{type 1u_steps
6v_steps 6R(1)R(3)R(5)R(7)pigment{rgb z}}#end#macro _(Y)#local X=asc(substr(C,Y
,1))-65;<T+mod(X,4)div(X,4)9>-2#end#macro O(T)Q("ABEFUQWS",T)Q("WSXTLOJN",T)#
end O(0)O(3)Q("JNKLCGCD",0)light_source{x 1}// ron### [at] povrayorg


Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor Quayle
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 16:44:59
Message: <3be9ab5b$1@news.povray.org>
See image posted in p.b.i.  Uses looks like sphere with ambient set to 1000,
max_trace_leve = 1000, six lenses (12 reflect/refract surfaces) with fresnel
reflection (max set to 1/3 to minimize scene reflection). It's not as pretty
as fake ones, but that's not what I was trying to achieve.  BTW, the viewing
angle here was only 2.5 degrees, orthographic can probably be used as well
and is maybe the better choice.

-tgq


"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] fwicom...
> On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 23:23:35 +0200, Peter Popov wrote:
> > On 7 Nov 2001 08:15:58 -0500, Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Not that I remember.
> >
> > OK, I'll have to check who it was, then.
> >
> >>But it really doesn't require photons, so it's possible Dan was playing
> >>with it that long ago.
> >
> > How so? Lens flares usually originate from light sources.
>
> True, but since the path is ES*L, it is sufficient to give the light
source a
> looks_like that has sufficient brightness to survive multiple reflections.
> Photons are only useful when the path is ES*DS*L.
>
> To get some of the more interesting flares requires blurred reflection
and/or
> refraction, and perhaps a touch of dispersion.  Slow, slow, slow.
>
> --
> #macro R(P)z+_(P)_(P)_(P+1)_(P+1)+z#end#macro Q(C,T)bicubic_patch{type
1u_steps
> 6v_steps 6R(1)R(3)R(5)R(7)pigment{rgb z}}#end#macro _(Y)#local
X=asc(substr(C,Y
> ,1))-65;<T+mod(X,4)div(X,4)9>-2#end#macro
O(T)Q("ABEFUQWS",T)Q("WSXTLOJN",T)#
> end O(0)O(3)Q("JNKLCGCD",0)light_source{x 1}// ron### [at] povrayorg


Post a reply to this message

From: JRG
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 16:54:16
Message: <3be9ad88@news.povray.org>
Trevor Quayle wrote:
> Uses [...]
> max_trace_leve = 1000

Yep! And it didn't crash?!

--
Jonathan.


Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor Quayle
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 16:56:59
Message: <3be9ae2b$1@news.povray.org>
without fresnel on it would, but for some reason with fresnel it didn't, I
was even successful with 5000!

-tgq

"JRG" <jrg### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:3be9ad88@news.povray.org...
> Trevor Quayle wrote:
> > Uses [...]
> > max_trace_leve = 1000
>
> Yep! And it didn't crash?!
>
> --
> Jonathan.
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor Quayle
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 16:58:34
Message: <3be9ae8a$1@news.povray.org>
Hmm, something must operate different with fresnel on, it wouldn't even
crash at 1 million.

-tgq

"Trevor Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:3be9ae2b$1@news.povray.org...
> without fresnel on it would, but for some reason with fresnel it didn't, I
> was even successful with 5000!
>
> -tgq
>
> "JRG" <jrg### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> news:3be9ad88@news.povray.org...
> > Trevor Quayle wrote:
> > > Uses [...]
> > > max_trace_leve = 1000
> >
> > Yep! And it didn't crash?!
> >
> > --
> > Jonathan.
> >
> >
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 17:05:04
Message: <slrn9ujc0j.hm6.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:57:04 -0500, Trevor Quayle wrote:
> without fresnel on it would, but for some reason with fresnel it didn't, I
> was even successful with 5000!

Is adc_bailout nonzero?

-- 
#macro R(P)z+_(P)_(P)_(P+1)_(P+1)+z#end#macro Q(C,T)bicubic_patch{type 1u_steps
6v_steps 6R(1)R(3)R(5)R(7)pigment{rgb z}}#end#macro _(Y)#local X=asc(substr(C,Y
,1))-65;<T+mod(X,4)div(X,4)9>-2#end#macro O(T)Q("ABEFUQWS",T)Q("WSXTLOJN",T)#
end O(0)O(3)Q("JNKLCGCD",0)light_source{x 1}// ron### [at] povrayorg


Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor Quayle
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 7 Nov 2001 17:12:47
Message: <3be9b1df@news.povray.org>
yes, 0.0001
-tgq
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] fwicom...
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:57:04 -0500, Trevor Quayle wrote:
> > without fresnel on it would, but for some reason with fresnel it didn't,
I
> > was even successful with 5000!
>
> Is adc_bailout nonzero?
>
> --
> #macro R(P)z+_(P)_(P)_(P+1)_(P+1)+z#end#macro Q(C,T)bicubic_patch{type
1u_steps
> 6v_steps 6R(1)R(3)R(5)R(7)pigment{rgb z}}#end#macro _(Y)#local
X=asc(substr(C,Y
> ,1))-65;<T+mod(X,4)div(X,4)9>-2#end#macro
O(T)Q("ABEFUQWS",T)Q("WSXTLOJN",T)#
> end O(0)O(3)Q("JNKLCGCD",0)light_source{x 1}// ron### [at] povrayorg


Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 8 Nov 2001 01:26:33
Message: <3bea2599@news.povray.org>
"Bill DeWitt" <bde### [at] cflrrcom> wrote in message
news:3be96283$1@news.povray.org...
>
> "Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
> news:3BE955A6.4C3ED542@pacbell.net...
> >
> >
> > Warp wrote:
> >
> > > #macro c(X)torus{.5.1clipped_by{box{<.7.2><-.7,-.2.7>}}rotate-90*x
> translate
> > > x*X}#end #macro C(A)cylinder{A,A-y*.5.1}#end
> merge{c(.5)c(-.5)C(x)C(-x)C(0)
> > > translate z*2pigment{crackle scale.5rotate
> 90turbulence.75color_map{[.05rgb
> > > 1][.1rgb<1,.25,1>][.25rgbf 1]}}finish{ambient 1}}
> >
> > Everybody around here whines about how important it is to use proper
> > indenting yet look at that mess! When I do it people critisie me. When
> > you guys do it in your sigs it is all of a sudden ok. Talk about double
> > standards!
>
>     I agree.
>
> //// New, improved and FAIR code follows ////
>
>  #macro c (X)
>     torus {
>            0.5, 0.1
>               clipped_by {
>                           box {
>                                <  0.7, 0.2 >,
>                                < -0.7,-0.2, 0.7 >
>                               }
>                          }
>               rotate-90*x
>               translate x*X
>           }
>  #end
>
>  #macro C (A)
>     cylinder{
>              A, A-y*0.5, 0.1
>             }
>  #end
>
>  merge{
>        c(0.5)
>        c(-0.5)
>        C(x)
>        C(-x)
>        C(0)
>        translate z*2
>        pigment{
>                crackle
>                scale 0.5
>                rotate 90
>                turbulence 0.75
>                color_map {
>                           [ 0.05 rgb 1 ]
>                           [ 0.10 rgb < 1.0, 0.25, 1.0 > ]
>                           [ 0.25 rgbf 1 ]
>                          }
>               }
>               finish {
>                       ambient 1
>                      }
>       }
>
Hmmm - and maybe add comments as well so we can understand it more easily  ;o)

- Nekar


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.286 / Virus Database: 152 - Release Date: 2001/10/09


Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 8 Nov 2001 05:16:46
Message: <3bea5b8e@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
: clipped_by{plane{z,0}}

  Doh! Didn't think of that. Shame on me! :)

-- 
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I
],13),8)-3,10>#end blob{N(array[6]{11117333955,
7382340,3358,3900569407,970,4254934330},0)}//                     - Warp -


Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 8 Nov 2001 05:17:37
Message: <3bea5bc1@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
: Everybody around here whines about how important it is to use proper
: indenting yet look at that mess! When I do it people critisie me. When
: you guys do it in your sigs it is all of a sudden ok. Talk about double
: standards!

  That's exactly what "obfuscated" means: The opposite of what you should
write usually. :)

-- 
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I
],13),8)-3,10>#end blob{N(array[6]{11117333955,
7382340,3358,3900569407,970,4254934330},0)}//                     - Warp -


Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Melly
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 8 Nov 2001 10:15:39
Message: <3beaa19b$1@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message news:3bea5bc1@news.povray.org...
>
>   That's exactly what "obfuscated" means: The opposite of what you should
> write usually. :)
>

I thought that was (: .yllausu etirw dluohs uoy tahw, the opposite of obfuscated
is detacsufbo surely?


Post a reply to this message

From: Batronyx
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 8 Nov 2001 23:25:44
Message: <3beb5ac8@news.povray.org>
"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message
news:3beaa19b$1@news.povray.org...
> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message news:3bea5bc1@news.povray.org...
> >
> >   That's exactly what "obfuscated" means: The opposite of what you should
> > write usually. :)
> >
>
> I thought that was (: .yllausu etirw dluohs uoy tahw, the opposite of
obfuscated
> is detacsufbo surely?
>

I don't think so. It looks like you've got it backwards.


Post a reply to this message

From: Nathan Kopp
Subject: Re: Lens Flares?
Date: 13 Nov 2001 00:25:59
Message: <3bf0aee7@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote...
> On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 23:23:35 +0200, Peter Popov wrote:
> > How so? Lens flares usually originate from light sources.
>
> True, but since the path is ES*L, it is sufficient to give the light
source a
> looks_like that has sufficient brightness to survive multiple reflections.
> Photons are only useful when the path is ES*DS*L.
>
> To get some of the more interesting flares requires blurred reflection
and/or
> refraction, and perhaps a touch of dispersion.  Slow, slow, slow.

Or you can use a bit of phong (and/or specular) highlighting to get the
reflection of the light_source to show up.  Over a year ago tried this with
a bit of dispersion and it worked great, though the renders were SO SLOW!

-Nathan


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.