POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another 4.0 Wish Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:29:23 EDT (-0400)
  Another 4.0 Wish (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Dave Dunn
Subject: Another 4.0 Wish
Date: 7 Sep 2001 09:35:31
Message: <3B98CD4B.89422AA1@aol.com>
(Properly reposted in the correct folder)

Hmm, all this talk about the +QR switch has made me think how cool it
would be if you could assign a quality modifier to the objects
themselves. Alias/Wavefront used to have this capability, which they
called "selective raytracing." The way it would work (from an end-user
standpoint anyway) would be: object {MyObject quality 7} or something,
with 9 being the default. This might save rendering time for objects in
the background for example that would not need so high an LOD, and could

also be used to combine Toon effects within a rendered scene. I don't
know how difficult this would be to implement, but it might be fun to
kick around.