POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Guestbook almost ready but wierd behavior Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Guestbook almost ready but wierd behavior (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: David Fontaine
Subject: Guestbook almost ready but wierd behavior
Date: 9 Feb 2001 18:03:19
Message: <3A847707.906DC82F@faricy.net>
I couldn't run PHP because it wasn't installed and I couldn't run Perl
because I had to compile it first. Ack. Well that's been addressed. So
now I made a PHP guestbook (faricy.net installed PHP 4.04).
http://davidf.faricy.net/guestbook/guestbook.php

The problem is any "special" characters, quotes, apostraphes,
backslashes, get a backslash stuck in front of them by the script. So I
try to test sign my guestbook and I get

Don\'t just read it, <a href=\"signbook.php\">sign</a> it!

Ugly and destroys HTML. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Also, when I enter my URL i get a directory listing instead of
index.html. I have told Ryan Faricy about this problem. (It's a server
problem, right?)

David Fontaine <dav### [at] faricynet> wrote in message
> I couldn't run PHP because it wasn't installed and I couldn't run Perl
> because I had to compile it first. Ack. Well that's been addressed. So
> now I made a PHP guestbook (faricy.net installed PHP 4.04).
> http://davidf.faricy.net/guestbook/guestbook.php
>
> The problem is any "special" characters, quotes, apostraphes,
> backslashes, get a backslash stuck in front of them by the script. So I
> try to test sign my guestbook and I get
>
> Don\'t just read it, <a href=\"signbook.php\">sign</a> it!
>
> Ugly and destroys HTML. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Well, go into the PHP code, and try to get the outputted string before it is
written to stdout. Look for "\?) and, replace by ?...i guess you can do that
in PHP, right?
> Also, when I enter my URL i get a directory listing instead of
> index.html. I have told Ryan Faricy about this problem. (It's a server
> problem, right?)
yeah, i'd guess

Post a reply to this message

From: Halbert
Date: 9 Feb 2001 19:36:01
Message: <3a848cf1$1@news.povray.org>
I have a pretty good and very simple guestbook asp in vbscript, if you'd
like to give that a try I'll send it to you. It will allow html. Have a
look, I have some entries which have used html.

http://www.compudrivel.com

David Fontaine <dav### [at] faricynet> wrote in message
> I couldn't run PHP because it wasn't installed and I couldn't run Perl
> because I had to compile it first. Ack. Well that's been addressed. So
> now I made a PHP guestbook (faricy.net installed PHP 4.04).
> http://davidf.faricy.net/guestbook/guestbook.php
>
> The problem is any "special" characters, quotes, apostraphes,
> backslashes, get a backslash stuck in front of them by the script. So I
> try to test sign my guestbook and I get
>
> Don\'t just read it, <a href=\"signbook.php\">sign</a> it!
>
> Ugly and destroys HTML. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
>

> Also, when I enter my URL i get a directory listing instead of
> index.html. I have told Ryan Faricy about this problem. (It's a server
> problem, right?)
>
> --
> David Fontaine  <dav### [at] faricynet>  ICQ 55354965
> My raytracing gallery:  http://davidf.faricy.net/

Post a reply to this message

From: David Fontaine
Date: 9 Feb 2001 22:00:47
Message: <3A84AEAB.F806D159@faricy.net>
Easy!!! I just run it through the stripcslashes() function. (I'm new to PHP
so I don't know how a lot of this stuff works. At first I tried strtr() but
it wasn't working.)

PHP is easy and powerful! I love it!

From: Tom Melly
Date: 12 Feb 2001 04:58:23
Message: <3a87b3bf@news.povray.org>
"David Fontaine" <dav### [at] faricynet> wrote in message
> I couldn't run PHP because it wasn't installed and I couldn't run Perl
> because I had to compile it first. Ack. Well that's been addressed. So
> now I made a PHP guestbook (faricy.net installed PHP 4.04).
> http://davidf.faricy.net/guestbook/guestbook.php
>
> The problem is any "special" characters, quotes, apostraphes,
> backslashes, get a backslash stuck in front of them by the script. So I
> try to test sign my guestbook and I get
>
> Don\'t just read it, <a href=\"signbook.php\">sign</a> it!
>
> Ugly and destroys HTML. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
>

> Also, when I enter my URL i get a directory listing instead of
> index.html. I have told Ryan Faricy about this problem. (It's a server
> problem, right?)

You should find an option for "allow html" in the script or similiar.

Post a reply to this message

From: David Fontaine
Date: 14 Feb 2001 22:31:53
Message: <3A8B4D60.50D3D146@faricy.net>
Tom Melly wrote:

> You should find an option for "allow html" in the script or similiar.

There's nothing to allow or disallow it, it just writes it to a file and it
gets read directly into the HTML. So if you enter HTML it'll be read as HTML.
The problem is with escape-code convention and the way PHP handles input. I
fixed it with a built-in function called stripcslashes(). :)