POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadow screen effect? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Shadow screen effect? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Subject: Shadow screen effect?
Date: 12 Jan 2001 17:36:45
Message: <3A5F8732.42564FE@unforgettable.com>
I'm looking for a way to simulate the effect of a translucent (not
transparent) object; specifically, it's impossible (or nearly so) to see
through, but some light can still pass through it, allowing you to
illuminate it from the back and see shadows that are cast on the back
side. As far as I know, using double_illuminate doesn't retain shadows
that are cast on one side, and I'm not sure whether the blurred
transparency patch that someone (Chris Huff?) was working on would
simulate this properly, and anyway, it's not in the official or
MegaPatch versions of POV-Ray. Maybe blurred transparency with a dense
internal media to diffuse light inside the object?

Anyway, I'm stumped. Does anyone know how to do this?

-Xplo

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:38:41 -0700, Xplo Eristotle wrote:
>I'm looking for a way to simulate the effect of a translucent (not
>transparent) object; specifically, it's impossible (or nearly so) to see
>through, but some light can still pass through it, allowing you to

A long time ago, I posted a piece of wet paper in binaries.images.
It might be something like what you're looking for.  It was implemented
with scattering media.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.

Post a reply to this message

In article <3A5### [at] unforgettablecom>,
inq### [at] unforgettablecom wrote:

> As far as I know, using double_illuminate doesn't retain shadows
> that are cast on one side,

Actually, I'm pretty sure it does. It wouldn't be very useful otherwise.

> and I'm not sure whether the blurred transparency patch that someone
> (Chris Huff?) was working on would simulate this properly,

It wouldn't do this effect.

> and anyway, it's not in the official or MegaPatch versions of
> POV-Ray.

Actually, it hasn't even been completely written yet...it is mostly a
bundle of ideas(I *did* have a sort-of-working version, but plan on
starting again from scratch).

> Maybe blurred transparency with a dense internal media to diffuse
> light inside the object?

Someone used extremely dense scattering media to do this once...the
posts are somewhere on these newsgroups.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message

> Someone used extremely dense scattering media to do this once...the
> posts are somewhere on these newsgroups.

I did a translucent lamp shade with this method once; it does work as a shadow
screen.
Look for post "Lamp shade source" from 26 April, in povray.binaries.scene-files

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee
Home page http://www.hot.ee/margusrt

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:38:41 -0700, Xplo Eristotle
<inq### [at] unforgettablecom> wrote:

>I'm looking for a way to simulate the effect of a translucent (not
>transparent) object;

The usual way to do it is to use a very dense scattering media of
scattering type 5, then play with the eccentricity value.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg