POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Particles? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:11:32 EDT (-0400)
  Particles? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: MikeH
Subject: Particles?
Date: 20 Nov 2000 18:17:43
Message: <3A19A28D.7486299F@aol.com>
Are there any good particle includes/macros besides the ones by
Colefax?  I'm kind of hoping there's one out there that can handle
collision detection against any object, be it using trace() or
whatever.  What I need is something very basic - particles emitting from
an area and falling straight down like rain.  While it would be cool for
them to bounce off objects, I could just have them die on contact.

Anyway, the particles themselves are easy enough to make, but how can I
tell if one has hit an object between frames?  Better yet, maybe someone
has already done it.

Help!!! ;)

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Are there any good particle includes/macros besides the ones by
> Colefax?  I'm kind of hoping there's one out there that can handle
> collision detection against any object, be it using trace() or
> whatever.  What I need is something very basic - particles emitting from
> an area and falling straight down like rain.  While it would be cool for
> them to bounce off objects, I could just have them die on contact.

Check out the unofficial version of POV called MegaPOVplus, where Chris Huff has
imlemented a particle system object. It can do collision detection with
arbitrary objects, and has other neat features. The URL is
http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/povpatch.html

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee