POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : animation file formats and compression... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  animation file formats and compression... (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: ryan constantine
Subject: animation file formats and compression...
Date: 8 Jul 2000 15:39:39
Message: <39678321.82C08232@yahoo.com>
so i rendered what i call a showcase animation of my xwing this week
(movement is too robotic and it took all week because i had settings too
high.  won't make those mistakes again.) at 800 by 450 pixels.  it came
out to be 91MB.  obviously way too huge!  so i used a utility to chop
the framerate down a bit and it dropped to 7 MB; excellent!!  then i
made a smaller copy only 400 pixels wide which ended up being 3.5MB.
all so far were avi files.  the custom in the animation ng is to post
mpgs, so i converted both of the smaller avis and got curious results
which are the reason for this post.  the larger file compressed to
1.17MB, but the smaller file only compressed to 1.16MB! the settings in
the utility were the same.  what could be the cause?  and what size
should i aim for in order to post in the animation ng?

ryan

Post a reply to this message

> so i rendered what i call a showcase animation of my xwing this
week
> (movement is too robotic and it took all week because i had
settings too
> high.  won't make those mistakes again.) at 800 by 450 pixels.
it came
> out to be 91MB.  obviously way too huge!  so i used a utility
to chop
> the framerate down a bit and it dropped to 7 MB; excellent!!
then i
> made a smaller copy only 400 pixels wide which ended up being
3.5MB.
> all so far were avi files.  the custom in the animation ng is
to post
> mpgs, so i converted both of the smaller avis and got curious
results
> which are the reason for this post.  the larger file compressed
> 1.17MB, but the smaller file only compressed to 1.16MB! the
settings in
> the utility were the same.  what could be the cause?  and what
size
> should i aim for in order to post in the animation ng?

Hmm ... this should be from the lossy compression of MPEG
If the details in the bigger anim aren't so much more than in the
smaller, they may be just killed by the compression(of course not
killed, but compressed on the same way in both sizes).
This often happens(or better: I've often seen this) on
Space-scenes with the star-background, just containing simple
stars on a black BG ...
Of course if you do not have very much details on your xwing, it
will be compressed quite on the same way in every size ...
But "detail" means here something other than you might expect ...
It means how fine are differences between the pixels, or say: do
you have a lot of high-frequencies in your pic, or are there more
low frequencies ???
You can apply AntiAliasing to make the pics better compressable
and your Animation will be better viewable, while no AA will
create some Artefacts in the animation ...

Hmmm ... did you understand this ??? I think I didn't speak quite
concrete, but ...

hope 2 help

CU Jan

--

 ,',    Jan Walzer      \V/  http://wa.lzer.net     ,',
',','   student of      >|<  mailto:jan### [at] lzernet ',','