POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray at LINUXTAG Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray at LINUXTAG (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Marc Schimmler
Subject: POV-Ray at LINUXTAG
Date: 6 Jul 2000 08:05:36
Message: <3964760F.BA69B35C@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Hi Povers!

Now after the LINUXTAG 2000 has ended at Sunday I'll give you a summary
of our work at the POV-Ray booth at the Linuxtag.
We (Christian Perle, Jan Theofel, Manuel Moser, Martin Trautmann, and
me) prepared this event for several weeks. We made Posters, Videos,
organized Computers two Beamers several hundred Flyers ...

We have been invited to this biggest european Linux convention to be
part of the opensource pavillion where projects like Debian, XFree86,
OpenBSD and sevral others resided. The event was free to everyone to
visit. No fees at all. Many big names where there ... IBM, Compaq, hp,
Siemens, O'Reilly, Redhat, Suse ... to name a few.
There were many lectures and many new things for Linux but no time for
us.
We presented a video containing IRTC anims (thanks to Neil Alexander,
H.E.Day, Glenn McCarter and John VanSickle for allowing me to copy their
work) which 20 min long and nice to look at and sevral pics from the
IRTC, promoting the site.

We had lot's of questions asked to us (modeller for Linux, conversion
routines, scripting) and I hope we were able to give satisfying answers.
It was good to see that POV-Ray is well known and that the interest was
quite high (our booth under siege).

Christian held a small lecture about POV-Ray that also had some good
response.

We had been invited by IBM and Compaq to render animations on their
Clusters (a 4 node AS6000 and a 8 node Alpha Cluster) which we did
happily during Linuxtag. :-)

The only more or less negative feedback had been about the license. All
but one person made friendly inquiries about the license and asked why
it is not GPL or something similiar and if there is hope that it could
change someday. The one not so friendly one walked down the aisle before
our booth and pointed the thumb down. To those who know the scene I say
only three letters ..... RMS.

We also tried to sell IRTC CDROMS for Chris but had not been all too
successful, so you people who love the IRTC, please buy them.

Some pictures can be found at:

http://www.zpg.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/~marc/pics.html

There are more but I don't have them now.

Povingly,

Marc

--
Marc Schimmler