POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Buggy trig? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:41:21 EDT (-0400)
  Buggy trig? (Message 1 to 10 of 23)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Subject: Buggy trig?
Date: 3 Jun 2000 20:14:26
Message: <39399F72.5F639DC0@unforgettable.com>
Playing with the animation stuff, I produced this simple scene:

#version unofficial MegaPov 0.5;

camera
	{
	location <0.0, 0, -4>
	look_at <0.0, 0.0, 0.0>
	}

light_source
	{
	<-4, 8, -4>
	rgb .3
	}

text
	{
	ttf "ALIANNA.TTF",
	"RAYTRACING"
	1, <0.0, 0.0, 0.0>
	align_center
	pigment { color rgb <0, 1, 0> }
	rotate <0,-20*(sin(clock*360)),0>
	}

As I understand it, this should produce a nice loop; starting from no
rotation (clock = 0, sin(0) = 0), the right end of the text should be
rotated toward the camera while the left end falls away until a quarter
of the way through the animation, where the rotation reaches -20 degrees
(clock = ~.25, sin(360*.25) = 1). Then, it should rotate back the way it
came until halfway through (sin(360*.5) = 0) and then keep rotating that
direction until 3/4 of the way through the animation where it reaches 20
degrees (sin(360*.75) = -1). And finally, it should rotate back again
until it reaches no rotation.

Problem: it doesn't do this. It seems like the sin function is returning
incorrect values, since when I rendered the animation and dumped the
frames in a GIF animator, the animation didn't describe a full loop.
Instead, it acted as though the function had been sin(clock*270),
starting from no rotation and ending up at 20 degrees rotation.

Can anyone either explain what I'm doing wrong, or reproduce this bug?

--
Xplo Eristotle
http://start.at/xplosion/

"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"
    -Pink Floyd

Post a reply to this message

> As I understand it, this should produce a nice loop; starting from no
> rotation (clock = 0, sin(0) = 0), the right end of the text should be
> rotated toward the camera while the left end falls away until a quarter
> of the way through the animation, where the rotation reaches -20 degrees
> (clock = ~.25, sin(360*.25) = 1). Then, it should rotate back the way it
> came until halfway through (sin(360*.5) = 0) and then keep rotating that
> direction until 3/4 of the way through the animation where it reaches 20
> degrees (sin(360*.75) = -1). And finally, it should rotate back again
> until it reaches no rotation.

The trigonometric functions use radians which is clearly stated in the
documentation.  See the section about floating-point functions to find out
how to convert from degrees to radians.  However, you can probably solve the
whole thing without using any function and just use rotate (but I don't
understand what you want to do).

      Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

Xplo Eristotle <inq### [at] unforgettablecom> wrote:
> Playing with the animation stuff, I produced this simple scene:
[snip]
> As I understand it, this should produce a nice loop; starting from no
> rotation (clock = 0, sin(0) = 0), the right end of the text should be
> rotated toward the camera while the left end falls away until a quarter
> of the way through the animation, where the rotation reaches -20 degrees
> (clock = ~.25, sin(360*.25) = 1). Then, it should rotate back the way it
> came until halfway through (sin(360*.5) = 0) and then keep rotating that
> direction until 3/4 of the way through the animation where it reaches 20
> degrees (sin(360*.75) = -1). And finally, it should rotate back again
> until it reaches no rotation.
>
> Problem: it doesn't do this. It seems like the sin function is returning
> incorrect values, since when I rendered the animation and dumped the
> frames in a GIF animator, the animation didn't describe a full loop.
> Instead, it acted as though the function had been sin(clock*270),
> starting from no rotation and ending up at 20 degrees rotation.

Or, it seems the sin function is returning the correct values, based on the
fact that it accepts the input angle in radians rather than degrees.  Try
changing your statement to:

   rotate <0,-20*sin(clock*2*pi),0>

and things should work as you expect.

Post a reply to this message

> Or, it seems the sin function is returning the correct values, based on the
> fact that it accepts the input angle in radians rather than degrees.  Try
> changing your statement to:
>
>    rotate <0,-20*sin(clock*2*pi),0>
>
> and things should work as you expect.

Radians? Gah! >_<