POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : a thought about newsgroup clutter Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:40:51 EDT (-0400)
  a thought about newsgroup clutter (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: ryan constantine
Subject: a thought about newsgroup clutter
Date: 31 May 2000 16:56:48
Message: <39357D7C.4B912C8F@yahoo.com>
i have noticed many, many posts in the wrong groups followed by a post
telling the person they are in the wrong group and to post in the
appropriate group.  most people then repost in the correct group,
leaving their "mess" in the wrong group.  it might be a good addition to
the announcement, and newusers groups to tell people how to delete their
own posts.  that way, they could go back and clean up their "mess" and
save (in the long run) quite a bit of server space.  other than these
'wrong group' posts, deletion of posts should, of course, be up to the
poster (or postee?).  comments?

Post a reply to this message

> i have noticed many, many posts in the wrong groups followed by a post
> telling the person they are in the wrong group and to post in the
> appropriate group.  most people then repost in the correct group,
> leaving their "mess" in the wrong group.  it might be a good addition to
> the announcement, and newusers groups to tell people how to delete their
> own posts.  that way, they could go back and clean up their "mess" and
> save (in the long run) quite a bit of server space.  other than these
> 'wrong group' posts, deletion of posts should, of course, be up to the
> poster (or postee?).  comments?

I might add a comment about that in one of the future announcements.
I'll have to think about it.

You will find however that we have on occasion made such requests
and some people have indeed gone back and removed their mis-posted
messages. However people posting in the wrong group only occurs
once in a while and once they know what the appropriate groups are
to post to do not repeat this mistake. To enforce something like
this would likely make us into the bad guys and is really not worth
us looking like we are bunch of Net Nannys.

> > i have noticed many, many posts in the wrong groups followed by a post
> > telling the person they are in the wrong group and to post in the
> > appropriate group.  most people then repost in the correct group,
> > leaving their "mess" in the wrong group.  it might be a good addition to
> > the announcement, and newusers groups to tell people how to delete their
> > own posts.  that way, they could go back and clean up their "mess" and
> > save (in the long run) quite a bit of server space.  other than these
> > 'wrong group' posts, deletion of posts should, of course, be up to the
> > poster (or postee?).  comments?
>
> I might add a comment about that in one of the future announcements.
> I'll have to think about it.
>
> You will find however that we have on occasion made such requests
> and some people have indeed gone back and removed their mis-posted
> messages. However people posting in the wrong group only occurs
> once in a while and once they know what the appropriate groups are
> to post to do not repeat this mistake. To enforce something like
> this would likely make us into the bad guys and is really not worth
> us looking like we are bunch of Net Nannys.

i see what you are saying, but you'd be surprised how many there really
are.  since i have only been here for a couple of months, i decided to
start reading as many old messages as i can stand each time i get
online.  so in reading so many messages at once, it seems to me that
there really are quite a few.  and when the net is congested and it
takes a while for a post to come up, it's kinda lame when it's just
"post this in the right group" and the posts around it.  the time does
add up.  and, if the whole idea of keeping as many posts as possible on
the server is to let people like myself go through them like i am, than
those people will run into the same thing.  of course, if a person has
been here a while and is keeping up on the posts each day (which i do
with the new stuff) then you are right, it happens probably once a week
in one or two groups; which isn't a lot.  perhaps all that is needed is
for the "please post in the right group" messages to contain "and when
you do, please delete your message in this group as well".????

as a side note: when a mesaage is deleted, are the responces deleted
too?

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Date: 1 Jun 2000 10:11:19
Message: <slrn8jcsdv.2mi.ron.parker@linux.parkerr.fwi.com>
On Wed, 31 May 2000 23:45:42 -0700, ryan constantine wrote:
>as a side note: when a mesaage is deleted, are the responces deleted
>too?

No.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 1 Jun 2000 10:43:54
Message: <393676aa@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] linuxparkerrfwicom> ,
ron### [at] povrayorg (Ron Parker) wrote:

>>as a side note: when a mesaage is deleted, are the responces deleted
>>too?
>
> No.

Can this be changed?

     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Date: 1 Jun 2000 10:58:04
Message: <slrn8jcv5k.2mi.ron.parker@linux.parkerr.fwi.com>
On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 16:44:45 +0100, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>In article <slr### [at] linuxparkerrfwicom> ,
>ron### [at] povrayorg (Ron Parker) wrote:
>
>>>as a side note: when a mesaage is deleted, are the responces deleted
>>>too?
>>
>> No.
>
>Can this be changed?

I don't know, to be honest.  We'd have to ask Chris.  I suspect not.

From: Steve
Date: 1 Jun 2000 12:19:40
Message: <slrn8jd28s.iij.sjlen@zero-pps.localdomain>
On 1 Jun 2000 10:58:04 -0400, Ron Parker wrote:
>On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 16:44:45 +0100, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

>>> No.
>>
>>Can this be changed?
>
>I don't know, to be honest.  We'd have to ask Chris.  I suspect not.

You probably could do this if you ran each group through a score file
type sifting routine and scored threads on reference.  But going through
then would take a hell of a long time and it wouldn't stop there because
as mentioned earlier it happens probably about once per wheek somewhere
on the server which really isn't all that bad compared to miss-postings
on usenet.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:sjl### [at] ndirectcouk

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  4:12pm  up 1 day, 15:43,  2 users,  load average: 2.02, 2.03, 2.00

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 1 Jun 2000 13:01:19
Message: <393696df@news.povray.org>
:>>as a side note: when a mesaage is deleted, are the responces deleted
:>>too?
:>
:> No.

: Can this be changed?

  I hope not. I really would not like someone else deleting my postings
(even when I'm answering to his post).