POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Name for Z coordinate Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:30:45 EDT (-0400)
  Name for Z coordinate (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: Josh English
Subject: Name for Z coordinate
Date: 26 Apr 2000 14:07:33
Message: <39073060.B488FD85@spiritone.com>
My teacher posed this question to us last night, and he doesn't know the
answer himself.
A student once new that the x coordinate was called the abcissa, and the
y coordinate is called the ordinate. Since we're starting R3 calculus,
this student wanted to know if there was a name for the z coordinate.

Does anyone know of one?

--
Josh English
eng### [at] spiritonecom

Post a reply to this message

"Josh English" <eng### [at] spiritonecom> wrote in message
> My teacher posed this question to us last night, and he doesn't know the
> answer himself.
> A student once new that the x coordinate was called the abcissa, and the
> y coordinate is called the ordinate. Since we're starting R3 calculus,
> this student wanted to know if there was a name for the z coordinate.
>
> Does anyone know of one?
>
> --
> Josh English
> eng### [at] spiritonecom
> "May your hopes, dreams, and plans not be destroyed by a few zeros."

Post a reply to this message

I don't know of one but I did notice that
both names have to do with counting.
abcissa, ordinate, ??

Josh English wrote:

> My teacher posed this question to us last night, and he doesn't know the
> answer himself.
> A student once new that the x coordinate was called the abcissa, and the
> y coordinate is called the ordinate. Since we're starting R3 calculus,
> this student wanted to know if there was a name for the z coordinate.
>
> Does anyone know of one?
>
> --
> Josh English
> eng### [at] spiritonecom
> "May your hopes, dreams, and plans not be destroyed by a few zeros."

Post a reply to this message

> My teacher posed this question to us last night, and he doesn't know the
> answer himself.
> A student once new that the x coordinate was called the abcissa, and the
> y coordinate is called the ordinate. Since we're starting R3 calculus,
> this student wanted to know if there was a name for the z coordinate.
>
> Does anyone know of one?

"Up"

Post a reply to this message

> > My teacher posed this question to us last night, and he doesn't know the
> > answer himself.
> > A student once new that the x coordinate was called the abcissa, and the
> > y coordinate is called the ordinate. Since we're starting R3 calculus,
> > this student wanted to know if there was a name for the z coordinate.
> >
> > Does anyone know of one?
>
> "Up"

In a right-handed coordinate system, yes.  In POV-speak, it would have
to be "Away".

--
Francois Labreque | Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a snooze
     flabreq      | button on a cat who wants breakfast.

Post a reply to this message