POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request for next release Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Feature request for next release (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Mike Weber
Subject: Feature request for next release
Date: 18 Feb 2000 10:54:54
Message: <38ad6b4e@news.povray.org>
To the POV Team:

I have a request to add JPEG as an option for rendered images.  The library
and files can be found at:

http://support.intel.com/support/performancetools/libraries/ijl/index.htm

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Feature request for next release
Date: 18 Feb 2000 11:50:15
Message: <38ad7847@news.povray.org>
In article <38ad6b4e@news.povray.org> , "Mike Weber" <mik### [at] pyxiscom>
wrote:

> To the POV Team:
>
> I have a request to add JPEG as an option for rendered images.  The library
> and files can be found at:
>
> http://support.intel.com/support/performancetools/libraries/ijl/index.htm

To quote from the Intel site:

"Intel JPEG Library System Requirements

The Intel JPEG Library runs on Intel Architecture-based personal computers
running Microsoft Windows. The library integrates into an application or
library written in C or C++. The Intel JPEG Library requires the following
hardware and software:

Hardware
Intel Pentium processor-based system (a Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium with
MMX technology, Pentium II, or Pentium III processor-based system) 8 MBytes
RAM (32 MBytes RAM recommended)

Software
Microsoft Windows 95/98, Windows NT 4.0 or higher A C++ compiler: Intel
C/C++ Compiler version 2.4 or higher, or Microsoft Visual C++ version 4.0 or
higher"

However, there is a free JPEG library available which is cross platform. The
issue of JPEG output has previously been discussed in this newsgroups and
JPEG output is unsuitable for POV-Ray (just search a few month back to find
a thread on it). JPEG input is another issue.

        Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

> The issue of JPEG output has previously been discussed in this
> newsgroups and JPEG output is unsuitable for POV-Ray (just search a
> few month back to find a thread on it). JPEG input is another issue.

A thousand pardons, but I thought it was using JPEG output that was
okay, but that it lacked the quality needed for input.  Am I
remembering things incorrectly?

Regards,
John
--
ICQ: 46085459

Post a reply to this message

>> The issue of JPEG output has previously been discussed in this
>> newsgroups and JPEG output is unsuitable for POV-Ray (just search a
>> few month back to find a thread on it). JPEG input is another issue.
>
> A thousand pardons, but I thought it was using JPEG output that was
> okay, but that it lacked the quality needed for input.  Am I
> remembering things incorrectly?

Yes, you do.

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

> A thousand pardons, but I thought it was using JPEG output that was
> okay, but that it lacked the quality needed for input.  Am I
> remembering things incorrectly?

Output was considered not OK, becaus of unpredictable, lossy compression.
Input is OK, because many image maps are originally in JPEG anyway and
converting them to a non-lossy format won't help any.

Margus

Post a reply to this message

>Output was considered not OK, becaus of unpredictable, lossy compression.
>Input is OK, because many image maps are originally in JPEG anyway and
>converting them to a non-lossy format won't help any.

So when will we get it for input? I have several projects that would happily
work with JPEG. I would save a lot of HD space from having to turn textures
into PNG all the time.

Post a reply to this message

> So when will we get it for input? I have several projects that would happily
> work with JPEG. I would save a lot of HD space from having to turn textures
> into PNG all the time.

As you know, the POV-Team does not give any exact details about new versions
or their release dates :-)

        Thorsten

Post a reply to this message