POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help on blobs: speediest way for opening? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:28:21 EDT (-0400)
  Help on blobs: speediest way for opening? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Help on blobs: speediest way for opening?
Date: 5 Apr 2000 13:17:16
Message: <38EB7419.51B18DD8@my-dejanews.com>
I have developed a blob figure of a human.  I made a mouth by flattening
a sphere and giving it a big negative strength.

The problem is that this technique gives a ridiculously long render
time.  Most of the render time is spent on the mouth, where perhpaps a
dozen components (spheres) overlap.

What is the quickest-rendering ways to make a simple mouth on a blob
character?
a) negative blob components?
b) CSG?
c) Make a different-textured region show up (and is there a quick way to
do this)?
d) ?

Post a reply to this message

> What is the quickest-rendering ways to make a simple mouth on a blob
> character?
> a) negative blob components?
> b) CSG?
> c) Make a different-textured region show up (and is there a quick way to
> do this)?

 d) H.E. Day uses manual bounding in all of his major Blob projects
    to help speed up rendering.

I've tried code like this before ages ago and gotten insulting messages from
pov that say things like:
  "I removed your unnecessary bounding box."
  "I removed your unnecessary bounding box."
  "I removed your unnecessary bounding box."

If you're familiar with the concept, what would I bound and with what:
    a) spheres just barely larger than every one of my 150+ components?
    b) a big cube larger than the arms will ever reach?

?