POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Realistic sky? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Realistic sky? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Subject: Realistic sky?
Date: 1 Apr 2000 03:52:10
Message: <38E5B9EC.D5FC5918@unforgettable.com>
Who else here has tried to make a realistic (or at least recognizable)
atmospheric model using media? Did they find any measure of success?

My own experiments involved the use of three colored lights and three
(or more) different scattering media in an attempt to simulate
wavelength-dependent scattering, with the different media being linked
to the different lights by light_groups. It worked.. sort of. The best
compromise I could find gave a tolerable, if slightly washed-out,
noonday sky, and purple sunsets with a bit of orange at the bottom;
interesting, but unlikely to fool anyone.

(In the course of experimenting, I found what see to be bugs in the
media; type 3 appears much LESS directional than type 2, not more as
stated in the manual, and on a number of occasions both type 2 and type
3 were impossible to reduce to the point of having no effect, no matter
how small I made the numbers. Code examples can be provided, if anyone
wants to look into this.)

Is there any possibility that someone might write up
wavelength-dependency for scattering media? I remember someone was
playing with this for a while, but...

--
Xplo Eristotle
http://start.at/xplosion/