POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Translucency Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Translucency (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Richard Speir
Subject: Translucency
Date: 19 Feb 2000 20:08:26
Message: <38AF3F7B.8F135D87@geocities.com>
A few months back, there was a thread concerning some ways to either
reproduce or to fake translucency in POV.  I was unable to find the
thread when I searched for it today, so I was wondering if anyone could
explain to me how to do this.  I also believe, if memory serves me
correctly, that someone posted a rendering of a burning candle that
demonstrated a technique for producing translucency.  Thanks for any
help.

Post a reply to this message

> A few months back, there was a thread concerning some ways to either
> reproduce or to fake translucency in POV.  I was unable to find the
> thread when I searched for it today, so I was wondering if anyone could
> explain to me how to do this.  I also believe, if memory serves me
> correctly, that someone posted a rendering of a burning candle that
> demonstrated a technique for producing translucency.  Thanks for any
> help.

That sounds familiar...I think they were using a scattering media with a
very high density to simulate translucency. And later there was some
discussion about using blurred transparence to help with making
translucent objects.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 20:12:27 -0500, Richard Speir
<ric### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:

>A few months back, there was a thread concerning some ways to either
>reproduce or to fake translucency in POV.  I was unable to find the
>thread when I searched for it today, so I was wondering if anyone could
>explain to me how to do this.  I also believe, if memory serves me
>correctly, that someone posted a rendering of a burning candle that
>demonstrated a technique for producing translucency.  Thanks for any
>help.

Lance posted the candle but it was a MAX rendering. I'll see if I can
find the thread.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700