POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Accurate water? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:26:38 EDT (-0400)
  Accurate water? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Subject: Accurate water?
Date: 23 Dec 1999 18:15:18
Message: <3862AD9B.312003C2@unforgettable.com>
Dunno if this has been asked before, but...

Does anyone out there know if POV-Ray is capable of producing
mathematically accurate water? With the stuff in the MegaPatch, there
would seem to be enough tricks to do it (with the exception of some
better "wave" normals, but an isosurface might be better for that
anyway.. I don't know), but I don't know if there's something missing,
or what the numbers would be.

--
Xplo Eristotle
http://start.at/xplosion/

Post a reply to this message

> Dunno if this has been asked before, but...
>
> Does anyone out there know if POV-Ray is capable of producing
> mathematically accurate water? With the stuff in the MegaPatch, there
> would seem to be enough tricks to do it (with the exception of some
> better "wave" normals, but an isosurface might be better for that
> anyway.. I don't know), but I don't know if there's something missing,
> or what the numbers would be.

How are you defining "mathematically accurate water"? Rolling waves?
Crashing waves? Caustics? Godrays? Fluid dynamics?

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message

> > Dunno if this has been asked before, but...
> >
> > Does anyone out there know if POV-Ray is capable of producing
> > mathematically accurate water? With the stuff in the MegaPatch, there
> > would seem to be enough tricks to do it (with the exception of some
> > better "wave" normals, but an isosurface might be better for that
> > anyway.. I don't know), but I don't know if there's something missing,
> > or what the numbers would be.
>
> How are you defining "mathematically accurate water"? Rolling waves?
> Crashing waves? Caustics? Godrays? Fluid dynamics?

Caustics, reflection, light scattering, all that stuff. I'm not really
worried about how it moves, just how it interacts with light.

(And yes, I know I can fake it by playing around with numbers until I
get something that looks watery.. but that's not the point here.)

--
Xplo Eristotle
http://start.at/xplosion/

Post a reply to this message