POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering speed Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:32:07 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering speed (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Jon Berndt
Subject: Rendering speed
Date: 6 Dec 1999 00:50:08
Message: <384b4e90@news.povray.org>
In the recent rendering I did of ST:Voyager (see povray.binaries.images) I
noticed something interesting. The Voyager model (Jorg Gerlach's excellent
model) converted from 3DS format has about 80000 triangles. On a Windows box
I with an AMD K-6 II 3D and 64 MB of RAM I can get this to render only if I
shut down my machine, close everything unecessary down, and then it will
only render the scene three or four times before memory becomes so
fragmented and un-freed that I get strange memory errors and have to shut
down again.

However, if I run using the command line under Linux, I can run and run and
run. My Linux box is an AMD K6 with 64 MB RAM also. On the Linux box I can
also hit Ctrl-C and shut down immediately. If I select the Stop button in
the POV-Ray "IDE" on Windows I get disk thrashing for about ten minutes
before I can go back and try again. Note that I have about 75 MB swap space
(preallocated and static) on the Windows box and 64 MB swap space set up on
the Linux box.

Just thought you'd be interested.

Jon

Jon & Frances Berndt
email: jsb### [at] hal-pcorg, fan### [at] hal-pcorg
WWW: http://www.hal-pc.org/~jsb
League City, TX