POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : tanslucent textures Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:30:06 EDT (-0400)
  tanslucent textures (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Rainer Ludwig
Subject: tanslucent textures
Date: 1 Dec 1999 05:05:36
Message: <3844F2ED.47E56907@gmx.net>
Is it possible to create translucent textures with povray, so I can see
that there is a lightsource behind an object without seeing the object?
Has someone  an idea how to do that, I couldn't figure it out yet. The
only way I see at the moment is the possibility of assigning a
lightsource to an object, but that feature you can't use working with
the moray 3.1 editor (as far as I know).

Thanks

Rainer

Post a reply to this message

> Is it possible to create translucent textures with povray, so I can see
> that there is a lightsource behind an object without seeing the object?
> Has someone  an idea how to do that, I couldn't figure it out yet. The
> only way I see at the moment is the possibility of assigning a
> lightsource to an object, but that feature you can't use working with
> the moray 3.1 editor (as far as I know).

You can use a transparent texture and media. I would suggest an
unofficial version incorporating media method 2 or 3 for this, the
standard method can be very slow.
Or if the object is a patch object or infinitely thin, like a clipped
plane, you can use a patch which includes the double_illuminate patch,
like the Superpatch or UVPov.
But if you are using Moray, you will have to do some hand-editing to use
the patched versions.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom

Post a reply to this message

Thank's for the tip, I've downloaded UVPOV and will try that one.

Rainer Ludwig

Chris Huff schrieb:

> In article <3844F2ED.47E56907@gmx.net>, Rainer Ludwig
> <Rai### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to create translucent textures with povray, so I can see
> > that there is a lightsource behind an object without seeing the object?
> > Has someone  an idea how to do that, I couldn't figure it out yet. The
> > only way I see at the moment is the possibility of assigning a
> > lightsource to an object, but that feature you can't use working with
> > the moray 3.1 editor (as far as I know).
>
> You can use a transparent texture and media. I would suggest an
> unofficial version incorporating media method 2 or 3 for this, the
> standard method can be very slow.
> Or if the object is a patch object or infinitely thin, like a clipped
> plane, you can use a patch which includes the double_illuminate patch,
> like the Superpatch or UVPov.
> But if you are using Moray, you will have to do some hand-editing to use
> the patched versions.
>
> --
> Chris Huff
> e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom