POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray 3.1 - "finish_map" Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:23 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray 3.1 - "finish_map" (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Paul Vanukoff
Subject: POV-Ray 3.1 - "finish_map"
Date: 16 Oct 1999 14:44:48
Message: <3808c7a0@news.povray.org>
Is there anything analogous to color_maps for finishes? I have a
height_field that I want to gradiate a finish on. I want the lower half to
be

  finish { reflection 0.0 phong 0.1 }

while the upper half should be

  finish { reflection 0.9 phong 0.9 }

And I need it to gradiate smoothly from one finish at the bottom to the
other finish at the top. Obviously, there is no "finish_map" but is there
a way to accomplish something like this?

Paul Vanukoff                                        van### [at] primenetcom
http://www.primenet.com/~vanukoff/

disconnected from foreign server

Post a reply to this message

Try including your finish in two complete textures and use the texture_map
statement with a gradient y

Hope this helps

Fabien

> Is there anything analogous to color_maps for finishes? I have a
> height_field that I want to gradiate a finish on. I want the lower half to
> be
>
>   finish { reflection 0.0 phong 0.1 }
>
> while the upper half should be
>
>   finish { reflection 0.9 phong 0.9 }
>
> And I need it to gradiate smoothly from one finish at the bottom to the
> other finish at the top. Obviously, there is no "finish_map" but is there
> a way to accomplish something like this?
>
> --
> Paul Vanukoff                                        van### [at] primenetcom
> http://www.primenet.com/~vanukoff/
>
> disconnected from foreign server

Post a reply to this message

On 16 Oct 1999 14:44:48 -0400, Paul Vanukoff <van### [at] primenetcom>
wrote:

>And I need it to gradiate smoothly from one finish at the bottom to the
>other finish at the top. Obviously, there is no "finish_map" but is there
>a way to accomplish something like this?

See this post for an example of blending finishes (a reflection map)

Thanks all. The texture_map with a gradient worked.