POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cloud and/or Weather System Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Cloud and/or Weather System (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Philip Bartol
Subject: Cloud and/or Weather System
Date: 11 Oct 1999 19:04:22
Message: <38026cf6@news.povray.org>
The first thing that came to mind a while back when I looked at some of the
demo stuff of Chris Colefax's Galaxy generator is, why hasn't he made some
sort of cloud and/or weather include? <GRIN>

I've been meaning to ask this for quite a while... this actually is a kinda
nudge to Chris to consider this since he's just about the king of macros, but
also to drop the idea of a whole weather system....

I'm thinking along the lines of maybe including the "time of day" macro for
positioning the sun as well as the option to alter the information for
non-earth planets... Cloud techniques (including the very cool version of
"stsky.pov" and "media" clouds), maybe even the added "lighting" items...

Anyone have any thoughts on this... I'd undertake this if I knew more, but
before someone pointed out stsky.pov I was using the stock S_Cloud1 Sky_Sphere
from "clouds.inc"...

I'm going to have to work with some of these elements as is... my Lighthouse
Project (if I ever get back on track with it) will require some of these
things for some of the scenes I'm planning on....

See: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/projects.html

--
Ken Tyler -  1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

Philip Bartol <phi### [at] cleanwebnet> wrote:
> The first thing that came to mind a while back when I looked at some
of
the
> demo stuff of Chris Colefax's Galaxy generator is, why hasn't he made
some
> sort of cloud and/or weather include? <GRIN>
>
> I've been meaning to ask this for quite a while... this actually is a
kinda
> nudge to Chris to consider this since he's just about the king of
macros,
but
> also to drop the idea of a whole weather system....
>
> I'm thinking along the lines of maybe including the "time of day"
macro
for
> positioning the sun as well as the option to alter the information for
> non-earth planets... Cloud techniques (including the very cool version
of
> "stsky.pov" and "media" clouds), maybe even the added "lighting"
items...

> Anyone have any thoughts on this... I'd undertake this if I knew more,
but
> before someone pointed out stsky.pov I was using the stock S_Cloud1
Sky_Sphere
> from "clouds.inc"...
>
> I'm going to have to work with some of these elements as is... my
Lighthouse
> Project (if I ever get back on track with it) will require some of
these
> things for some of the scenes I'm planning on....

As Ken has pointed out, I (oddly enough!) have something just along
these lines currently in progress.  Like too many of my projects it's
something I've been working on for quite a while, and since taking up
the idea (I guess around the same time as the Galaxy include file) I've
been through plenty of different possible techniques.  These include
media, although with current rendering performance I can't honestly say
I see this is as a realistic method for animations, or even just quickly
adding an attractive environment to a scene.

The cloud animation on my Current Projects page is based on some layered
texture methods I've been trying: the objects themselves are very
simple, and I'm quite happy with the cloud shading (which is
light-direction dependant) and dynamics, the way the sun shines from
behind the clouds, etc.  I have used the technique for renderings of
other cloud types, including an animation of cumulonimbus clouds
building on the horizon.

Of course, it's hard not to be impressed by Jaime Vives Piqueres'
layered plane method (or, indeed, any of his outstanding renderings!).
Still, because his technique is essentially like rendering media with
fixed samples speed is still an issue (and the high max trace level
required could be extremely painful with reflective objects in the
scene).

The solution, then, might be some combination of the various methods -
and to make the file worthwhile involves working out useful (if not
failsafe) parameters, defaults, etc.  Perhaps it's not unrealistic to
hope for a system that lets you specify the time of day and type of
weather you desire (with the option of clouds, fog, lightning, rain,
snow, hail, visible sunbeams, sun coronas and other effects, auroras,
lunar and solar eclipses and occultations... oh, where does it all
end?!).