POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cylindrical Light Source Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:11:21 EDT (-0400)
  Cylindrical Light Source (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Raymond C  Gilford
Subject: Cylindrical Light Source
Date: 16 Sep 1999 03:31:55
Message: <37E09D1A.231D0FCC@gyltech.com>
Hi

I am having some trouble getting a cylindrical light source to simulate
a laser beam. Has anyone worked with this particular light source
feature?

Thanks,

RG

--
Raymond C. Gilford
Gylford Technologies

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Cylindrical Light Source
Date: 16 Sep 1999 06:59:11
Message: <37E0CD0D.F806BF07@pacbell.net>
"Raymond C. Gilford" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am having some trouble getting a cylindrical light source to simulate
> a laser beam. Has anyone worked with this particular light source
> feature?
>
> Thanks,
>
> RG

  It is important to remember that a light source in POV-Ray is not visible
to the camera and that it only exists to produce light. Laser beams are better
simulated using a cylinder with a high color intensity and ambient value and/or
use the "looks like" light source modifier so that it actualy emits light.
That last option would not really work with a laser since their light is
coherent and only travels in one direction for the most part. Some here have
used "media" to to model teh star wars light sabers but I am unconvinced it
they had any improvement over just using the method I first described.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 1000+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

--
Raymond C. Gilford
Gylford Technologies