POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : real reflection Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  real reflection (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: robotica
Subject: real reflection
Date: 30 Aug 1999 06:56:31
Message: <37CA62F9.55E2A91F@robotica.dnttm.ro>
Normally, if an object is illuminated, it becomes a small source of
light for other objects. (For example you can see the light of the sun
reflected by water on the trees... etc)
How can I simulate this in povray?

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: real reflection
Date: 30 Aug 1999 07:25:47
Message: <37CA69FE.628F944C@pacbell.net>
robotica wrote:

> Normally, if an object is illuminated, it becomes a small source of
> light for other objects. (For example you can see the light of the sun
> reflected by water on the trees... etc)
> How can I simulate this in povray?

There are two ways you may approach this. The radiosity feature in Pov
is designed to simulate inter diffuse reactions between objects. It is
inherently better suited for some situations more so that others. From
your discription it sound more like you are seeking the mirrored disco
ball effect where you can bounce light off a mirrored surface and see
it's reflection on other objects - something that the official version
of Poray cannot do. However Nathan Kopps UV Patch of Povray has a feature
called photon mapping that adds this functionality and is quite easy
to use. To see some examples and download the UV Patch follow the link
provided.

http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

: There are two ways you may approach this. The radiosity feature in Pov
: is designed to simulate inter diffuse reactions between objects.

  For some examples about this, see:
http://iki.fi/warp/pics/Radiosity_test2/