POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Freezes my computer!!! Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  POV Freezes my computer!!! (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: TonyB
Subject: POV Freezes my computer!!!
Date: 18 Aug 1999 22:03:53
Message: <37BB574C.CE875F56@panama.phoenix.net>
[Previously posted in .windows, with no response]

Hey, people. Something very strange and very scary has happened to me.
Well, not to me, but to my computer. I downloaded the latest ATI video
drivers and installed them. Now, every time I run POV or a patch of POV,
it starts to load, and then suddenly freezes the computer. It freezes
just before the splash screen normally comes up. What can I do? Did the
new drivers replace a dll that POV uses or something? Are they not happy
together? Please help me!!! I want to keep on POVing...

PS: Just to make sure, and since I've been needing more space, I am
getting a new hard drive, before it's too late, when I know it's ruined.

--
Anthony L. Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB

Non nova, sed nove.

Post a reply to this message

> [Previously posted in .windows, with no response]
>
> Hey, people. Something very strange and very scary has happened to me.
> Well, not to me, but to my computer. I downloaded the latest ATI video
> drivers and installed them. Now, every time I run POV or a patch of POV,
> it starts to load, and then suddenly freezes the computer. It freezes
> just before the splash screen normally comes up. What can I do? Did the
> new drivers replace a dll that POV uses or something? Are they not happy
> together? Please help me!!! I want to keep on POVing...
>
> PS: Just to make sure, and since I've been needing more space, I am
> getting a new hard drive, before it's too late, when I know it's ruined.
>
> --
> Anthony L. Bennett
> http://welcome.to/TonyB
>
> Non nova, sed nove.

Boy I keep hearing bad thing over and over with regards to ATI boards.
There are no .dll's that would have been replaced by ther ATI setup file.
All of Pov's .dlls are local to it's own directory. Make sure that your
windows settings are correct i.e. color depth and screen resolution.
Other than that it may be a direct conflict with the ATI drivers and the
Pov software. If all else fails reinstall your previous drivers and forget
about the updated drivers. Was there a reason for installing them in the
first place other than they were recommended by the manufacturer ?

--
Ken Tyler

See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

> Boy I keep hearing bad thing over and over with regards to ATI boards.

The board has been nothing but great in the time I've had it. This is my first
problem.

> There are no .dll's that would have been replaced by ther ATI setup file.

I hope you're right...

> All of Pov's .dlls are local to it's own directory. Make sure that your
> windows settings are correct i.e. color depth and screen resolution.

That hasn't changed a bit.

> Other than that it may be a direct conflict with the ATI drivers and the
> Pov software. If all else fails reinstall your previous drivers and forget
> about the updated drivers. Was there a reason for installing them in the
> first place other than they were recommended by the manufacturer ?

I only got them because they now include ICD drivers for the OpenGL, which
means that now all my 3D apps and games can be accelerated by it, and because
I pride myself on always having the latest version of everything I run. I
really don't want to uninstall them...

BTW, I ran an experiment. I restarted the machine with progman instead of
exporer, and POV ran just fine. I restarted with explorer and killed all of
ATI's background stuff (CTRL+ALT+DEL, you know), and the machine once again
froze. I'm stumped...

--
Anthony L. Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB

Non nova, sed nove.

Post a reply to this message

Serious POVers run povengin.exe as their shell and have all that
silly stuff like explorer as an option on the POV tools menu, you
know it makes sence.

--
Cheers
Steve

%HAV-A-NICEDAY Error reading file mailto:sjl### [at] ndirectcouk

web:  http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

Post a reply to this message