POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Please help with some really hard math Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Please help with some really hard math (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Peter Popov
Subject: Please help with some really hard math
Date: 12 Jul 1999 13:58:48
Message: <378c1f9d.33971555@204.213.191.228>
Greetings all.

Suppose I have a sphere that is electrostatically charged. The
intensity of its field at any point in space is proportional to the
reciprocal squared distance, and the vector points away from the
sphere. For a plane, it's easy. I think I can manage torii, cylinders,
and cones. Even non-smoothed meshes.

How about a smoothed mesh? OK, I have all the vertices and
corresponding normals stored in two arrays, but then what? How should
I proceed to calculate the field vector and intensity at an arbitrary
point in space?

And yeah, I am talking about POV script here, not C :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

Calculate the distance from the origin sphere with a sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2),
and the direction is always either towards the sphere or away from it
(which is your normal). I didn't really get what you are trying to do
with the mesh, tho.

Peter Popov wrote:

> Greetings all.
>
> Suppose I have a sphere that is electrostatically charged. The
> intensity of its field at any point in space is proportional to the
> reciprocal squared distance, and the vector points away from the
> sphere. For a plane, it's easy. I think I can manage torii, cylinders,
> and cones. Even non-smoothed meshes.
>
> How about a smoothed mesh? OK, I have all the vertices and
> corresponding normals stored in two arrays, but then what? How should
> I proceed to calculate the field vector and intensity at an arbitrary
> point in space?
>
> And yeah, I am talking about POV script here, not C :)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Peter Popov
> ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

A smooth mesh should hold the same positions in space a a non-smoothed
mesh, so the distance to the surface should be the same.
I'm not sure how the normal vector would affect an electrostatic field.
You need to calculate the closest point between the mesh and your
arbitrary point to determine the strength of the field.

Joshua
eng### [at] spiritonecom

Peter Popov wrote:

> Greetings all.
>
> Suppose I have a sphere that is electrostatically charged. The
> intensity of its field at any point in space is proportional to the
> reciprocal squared distance, and the vector points away from the
> sphere. For a plane, it's easy. I think I can manage torii, cylinders,
> and cones. Even non-smoothed meshes.
>
> How about a smoothed mesh? OK, I have all the vertices and
> corresponding normals stored in two arrays, but then what? How should
> I proceed to calculate the field vector and intensity at an arbitrary
> point in space?
>
> And yeah, I am talking about POV script here, not C :)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Peter Popov
> ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:57:49 GMT, pet### [at] usanet (Peter Popov)
wrote:

>Suppose I have a sphere that is electrostatically charged. The
>intensity of its field at any point in space is proportional to the
>reciprocal squared distance, and the vector points away from the
>sphere. For a plane, it's easy. I think I can manage torii, cylinders,
>and cones. Even non-smoothed meshes.
>
>How about a smoothed mesh? OK, I have all the vertices and
>corresponding normals stored in two arrays, but then what? How should
>I proceed to calculate the field vector and intensity at an arbitrary
>point in space?
>
>And yeah, I am talking about POV script here, not C :)

Take your existing vertices and apply Catmull-Rom spline
interpolation.  (Use Catmull-Rom because it makes determining normals
trivial).  Use points from the resulting spline to refine the
triangulation until it is accurate enough to suit you.  Then use your
non-smoothed mesh method.  Just a suggestion off the top of my head.

Jerry Anning
clem "at" dhol "dot" com

Post a reply to this message