POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Lambda Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lambda (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: PoD
Subject: Re: Lambda
Date: 11 Jul 1999 18:53:30
Message: <37892093.FDAB7061@merlin.net.au>
Steven Jones wrote:

> How does lambda work?

Here's a simple explanation of what happens when turbulence is applied.

First get the intersection point of the camera ray and the first object
it hits.
Now apply turbulence. The following steps are applied a number of times
specified by octaves.
  Move the point a distance determined by the turbulence amount.
  Multiply the turbulence amount by omega.
  Select a new direction to move the point. Lambda determines how much
this new direction varies from the previous one.

  After octaves steps, take the value of the pattern at this point and
apply it to the intersection point.

So a high lambda makes the point take a very jagged path through pattern
space and low lambda makes the path fairly straight.

The final effect is that you tend to get gentle waves in the pattern
with low lambda and more crinkly effects with high lambda.

Cheers, PoD.

Post a reply to this message

Heh. Now how's about 'omega'? Never mind, I'm only kidding.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe