POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : shadowless Server Time
14 Aug 2024 09:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  shadowless (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Uwe Zimmermann
Subject: shadowless
Date: 23 Jun 1999 13:34:54
Message: <37711ABC.F7A20B15@ele.kth.se>
Hello out there!

My problem: shadowless lights and polished surfaces don't work together

I'm sure I already read about this some years ago when I started using
PovRay in v2.x. However, I just encountered the phenomen again. When you
define a scene and use the shadowless keyword to prevent the light
source from casting shadows this lightsource will not highlight an
object with a highlighting surface finish as e.g. phong. Is it a bug or
a feature? I don't know but since shadowless lights are originally meant
to "fill up" the light in the scene it might be a feature.

I'm using shadowless lights because I want to render a complex scene
representing a crystall lattice with some 10000 atoms in it. Not using
shadowless lights inevitabily leads to the inner atoms being always in
the shadow of the outer ones.
However - even if it is not at all scientific but perhaps artistic - I
might like to have polished surfaces with small highlights.

Is there anyone who knows a trick to solve this problem except for using
one lightsource for every atom???

You can see an example of what I'm rendering at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5432/test/sic.jpg

Uwe.

Uwe Zimmermann                uwe### [at] geocitiescom
Dipl. Phys.                     uwe### [at] elekthse

           Department of Electronics
            Solid State Electronics
         Royal Institute of Technology
                 Electrum 229