POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSG and heightfields Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:28:33 EDT (-0400)
  CSG and heightfields (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Mike Metheny
Subject: CSG and heightfields
Date: 29 Mar 1999 21:49:15
Message: <37003bab.0@news.povray.org>
It is problematical for me to use my help file (see Help File Error post)
and was wondering if it was possible to use a heightfield in a CSG?

--

Mike Metheny
lon### [at] vtedu

"When one's words are no better than silence, one should keep silent."

Post a reply to this message

Mike Metheny <lon### [at] vtedu> wrote in message
> It is problematical for me to use my help file (see Help File Error post)
> and was wondering if it was possible to use a heightfield in a CSG?

Yes it most definitely is.

Post a reply to this message

> Mike Metheny <lon### [at] vtedu> wrote in message
> > It is problematical for me to use my help file (see Help File Error post)
> > and was wondering if it was possible to use a heightfield in a CSG?
>
> Yes it most definitely is.

Particularly, using an intersect of a cube and a heightfield can make a field
with nice solid edges, which is often handy...

Fooling around with a cylinder and an hf can make a nice broken wooden post, if
this is what you're looking for.. the options are endless...

Post a reply to this message

>Particularly, using an intersect of a cube and a heightfield can make a
field
>with nice solid edges, which is often handy...

Could you give an example of this?  I tried doing this, but could not get it
working correctly.  This may be exactly what I need...

Post a reply to this message

Chris Capel <chr### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
:>Particularly, using an intersect of a cube and a heightfield can make a
: field
:>with nice solid edges, which is often handy...

: Could you give an example of this?  I tried doing this, but could not get it
: working correctly.  This may be exactly what I need...

intersection
{ box { 0,1 }
  height_field { gif "height.gif" smooth }

  (transformations and texturing here)
}