POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: transmit & filter meanings Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Q: transmit & filter meanings (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: John M  Dlugosz
Subject: Q: transmit & filter meanings
Date: 15 Mar 1999 01:45:17
Message: <36ecac7d.0@news.povray.org>
I want to gain a proper understanding of filter and transmit in layered
textures.

From the description, this is what I understand Transmit to mean.  Is this
correct?
    Picture an opaque powder sprinkled on the underlying surface.  Look
under a microscope and you'll see areas of powder and areas clear where the
undersurface shows through.  The Transmit value is the percentage of area
that the powder doesn't cover.  Mathematically, the total color is the
powder's (upper layer) color times the complement of its Transmit value,
plus the Transmit value times the color of what lies underneith.  Or is the
upper layer not multiplied by 1-Transmit?  I'd like to know details of what
POV actually does, so I can understand (and write a tutorial to share) how
this affects gamma correction and chromatisity issues in general.

As for Transmit, I don't have a clear mental model of what it does,
mathematically.  Can someone shed light on this please?

--John

Post a reply to this message