POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ANN: POVRay & Gamma Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  ANN: POVRay & Gamma (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: John M  Dlugosz
Subject: ANN: POVRay & Gamma
Date: 10 Mar 1999 00:55:52
Message: <36e60968.0@news.povray.org>
I've written a tutorial/explaination/guide to POV's Gamma issues and
features.  Initial draft and samples are up at
http://www.dlugosz.com/POV/Gamma/ .

Comments and corrections welcome.

--John

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Subject: Re: ANN: POVRay & Gamma
Date: 10 Mar 1999 16:26:27
Message: <36E6E341.49DB2518@aol.com>
That was great to read. Dang it all! So I've misinterpreted the
assumed_gamma and display_gamma meanings all this time!? I was going by
a assumed_gamma 2.2 being needed to equal the display_gamma, not a 1.0
multiplied by 2.2 kind of way (is that even right?). I know my monitor
gamma correction goes from light to dark based upon 1.0 is normal
setting, less than one is darker, more than one is lighter; so this
would be opposite that.
If I ever used assumed_gamma in a scene it has been 2.2 and then up or
down from there. I'll check this out and see how it all looks compared.
What's odd is that if no global_settings gamma is set at all then
shouldn't the image appear as if assumed_gamma were 1.0? I've never seen
a obvious lightened-up image if so.
Thanks for the good reference page.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe