POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : General relativity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  General relativity (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Steven Waddell
Subject: General relativity
Date: 20 Mar 1999 16:28:31
Message: <36f412ff.0@news.povray.org>
Does anyone know of a a version of POVRAY that takes account of the effects
of general relativity?

Also suggestions of any other relativistic raytracers would be appreciated

Post a reply to this message

From: Matthew Bennett
Subject: Re: General relativity
Date: 20 Mar 1999 16:45:04
Message: <36f416e0.0@news.povray.org>
Steven Waddell wrote in message <36f412ff.0@news.povray.org>...
>Does anyone know of a a version of POVRAY that takes account of the effects
>of general relativity?
>
>Also suggestions of any other relativistic raytracers would be appreciated

What sort of applications/scenes are you wanting this for?  I'd imagine most
things (orbits etc.) could be calculated using formulas within your scene
file - and that there wasn't any need for any additions to POV.  Come to
think of it... what extra effects are you hoping for?  If you're wanting the
see something like the bending of light rays under gravity, then I doubt
this would be possible as POV (at least not the official one..) doesn't deal
with light rays/photons in the correct manner.  4D is pretty hard to model
too ;)

I'd imagine POV is meant for and will probably say more for artistic design
than as a virtual laboratory (though it would be good if it was as well ;)

Matt

--
"He's not the Messiah, he's just a naughty little boy"
- Life of Brian

Post a reply to this message